01 exp. sport 4x4 Transfer case swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 exp. sport 4x4 Transfer case swap

bimmer4fun

Reaction score
City, State
Sweet home Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Hi I have an 01 Explorer sport 4x4 with the electric 4x4. Of course it dosen't work. I'm wondering if there is a direct fit or easy fit manual transfer case I can swap it out with. The tranny is the Borg Warner 4R55E. Will a manual transfer case from any other vehicle match up? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try a BW1354.

Bw 1354

Thanks very much!

There are a lot of articles here about the swap, and members who have done it. I'm sorry I don't know much more.

This is a great mod, and way worth the effort. Install of the case is simple, and only an hour or so of work.

1354M will bolt right up and work great without fear of overheating. You will have to change the front drive shaft to the 91-96 U-joint style. Your 01 has a CV front output and shaft.

For the shifter threw the floor.... Removing the center console and carpet to work on the floor tunnel plate is best. Plenty of stock Ford boots to choose from out there that will work. Full console will take some work, and a short console is a piece of cake.

Some advice for you when searching for a 1354M:
*Salvage yards tend to cut the shifter with a torch, and leave it behind for the crusher. *The shifter is way harder to find then the t-case itself. Best to call ahead and ask about the shifter before you buy.
*Try to avoid the t-cases that are wet/stained at the outputs. Bad seals, worn shafts.
*Pull a drain plug and see if it has fluids, and the redder the better.
*Try sales posts on forums. Most will have a shifter for it, and ask a reasonable price.
*car-parts.com is also a good salvage yard search site. You can enter how many miles away your willing to travel, and some even ship any part.

There is a thread called "Going Full Manual" in the trans section, and there is a post in it on how to do the install for the case itself into a 2nd gen.

Good luck on your search, and the swap!

Great Info!

Thanks for the great information!

Back