Converting from awd 1997 mountaineer to 4x4 transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting from awd 1997 mountaineer to 4x4 transfer case

cobraguy1989

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
How easily can this be done? I want to get rid of the awd and switch to 4x4 transfer case. I don't particularly want to do the manual f150 transfer case swap since I'd have to get different drive shafts.... I don't mind to have to do some extra wiring to get the electronic transfer case in just curious if it would be a simple swap out from awd to 4x4 (with the extra wiring to do). Thanks!

You are going to have to swap driveshafts either way , the 4405 from the V6 doesn't bolt up to your trans without adapters and that leaves you with the 4406, its the best fitting case that will work, there is the 4406 electric shift but its the same as far as driveshafts and will require making more room for the shift motor , most have done this by swapping the fuel tank with a two door

Your gonna swap shafts no matter what, the gas tank deal is if you are going to try the electric shift version of the 4406, the drive shaft part is easy just look in the modified section under mountaineerGreens sticky

Back