01' Explorer Sport, will not shift from park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01' Explorer Sport, will not shift from park

jereratli9

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Hey guys,
New to the forum. Tried looking through some of the pages to see if anyone else had this problem but it looks like I may be the only one. When going to start my car it starts completely normal. Only once it's started when I depress my brake and go to shift it from park to reverse or drive or anything for that matter it refuses to move into any other gear. As if I'm not pushing the brake down or something. The only way it starts is if I put the car into neutral before I start the car, than start the car, than shift into reverse/drive/etc. But if it goes into park after the car is started I have to shut the car off put it into neutral than start it again, than shift into gear. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have an idea what it may be? Thanks!

-Jeremy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your safety interlock is not getting the signal you are pushing the brake. Check your brake lights and the switch under the dash. If your lights don't work, then the switch isn't working.

That may be it. This problem began when my lights went out about a year ago. The entire switch fell apart under my dash. I put it back together (at least I thought I did properly) and the brake lights started working again. I guess it's possible that I did not reassemble the switch back together properly. Does anyone have any links to any diagrams on how to reassemble one. Or maybe a price and place where I can by an entire new switch at? Thanks!

Any local auto parts store will have them... as you'
ve seen, it's a 5 minute job to replace it... pull the pin, pop it off the pedal, unplug it, plug the new one in, pop it back on the pedal, insert pin, enjoy. :) (sounds like I'm rebuilding a grenade LOL!)

The interlock is fed from two separate power sources. It must have power from the ignition switch AND the brake pedal simultaneously to unlock (or have power from neither source). Odds are your BOO switch is bad again. It's only a $15 part at any store.

-Joe

Odds are your BOO switch is bad again. It's only a $15 part at any store.

-Joe

http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...tset=A&searchfor=Neutral+Safety/Backup+Switch

I'm trying to find the right part online to replace it. I couldn't find the switch under Brake on/off or BOO. Is the Neutral/Safety Backup switch the same? Looks kind of the same in the pictures. I'm not quite sure though. They're also $50 instead of $15 so I think I could be looking at the wrong switch. There's also an 11 pin version and 12 pin version so I really don't know what to choose. Would I maybe have to by this part from the dealer? I know the part number. Thanks for the input guys :D

It's the Stoplight Switch on that same web site. No need for a trip to the dealership. ANY auto parts store will have it... they've used that same switch on most Ford vehicles for the last 20 years.

gps_sls206_full.jpg

-Joe

It's the Stoplight Switch on that same web site. No need for a trip to the dealership. ANY auto parts store will have it... they've used that same switch on most Ford vehicles for the last 20 years.

gps_sls206_full.jpg

-Joe

Hey Joe,
I replaced that part. I thought it was the same problem. However my truck is still stuck in park after I turn it on :( . Anyone have any ideas what else it could be?

In the central junction box, check fuses:

Fuse #10 (7.5A) should be hot in run, fuse #9 (7.5A) should be hot all the time.

If the fuses are good, we'll need to check the wiring into the brake-shift interlock... The fact that you can move it to neutral with the key off tells me that the interlock is working fine, just probably not getting the signals it should.

-Joe

Back