01 mounty , known problems ?

N1265

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 explorer
Hi guys,

My '96 ex just dropped a tranny at 265k and I am looking to replace it with a 2001 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD. with 94K miles.

I have never owned a 5.0 AWD and am wondering what I should be looking at before buying this vehicle ( drive train wise ) and what to expect to replace or repair in the future.

also, being a bigger guy I like to remove the center counsel and am wondering what the key pads in the mountaineer center counsel actually control ?

I use to get 18 MPG with my 4.0 OHV, The sales man said I would get better MPG with the 5.0 AWD, Is this correct ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys,

My '96 ex just dropped a tranny at 265k and I am looking to replace it with a 2001 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD. with 94K miles.

I use to get 18 MPG with my 4.0 OHV, The sales man said I would get better MPG with the 5.0 AWD, Is this correct ?

Probably not better, but it won't be much worse. 5.0L is best engine/tranny combo put in the 2nd Gen vehicles.

how many miles can I expect to get out of the drivetrain before having to pull the motor or trans ?

how many miles can I expect to get out of the drivetrain before having to pull the motor or trans ?

Mine has 250K miles on original engine and tranny. No work at all on tranny; have only replaced water pump in engine. Have 3rd set of plugs in; change oil/filter every 5K with whatever 5W30 is on sale. Still gets between 16-17MPG in suburban driving. One of the most reliable and bulletproof vehicles I have ever owned.

Back