01 Sport Trac Flashing Check Engine Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport Trac Flashing Check Engine Light

Tim VanLandingham

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001Explorer Sport Trac
I have an 01 Sport Trac that we just bought at a good price. The Check Engine light was on and it had what I would term a "vacuum" skip. The previous owner said it was due to the PCV valve, which I replaced. Yes, it was bad. But, it still has that miss and the Check Engine Light is now flashing?
Any suggestions here? I will be going to O'Reilly's to have it plugged up to determine any codes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard of a flashing check engine light... ?

As far as the skip, spark plug, plug wire, fuel injector? While the spark plugs are out it's a good time to do a compression test. It's the best way to evaluate the health of an engine. If you've got a piston or valve problem you're looking at major repairs, which may not be worth making.

Surprised. Just shows there's always something new to learn. IMO, no better source of reliable information on EF than YOU.

Thanks Phil!

Surprised. Just shows there's always something new to learn. IMO, no better source of reliable information on EF than YOU.

Thanks Phil!

I'm flattered, but I'm sure there's a lot of people on this forum that know as much/more than me. I admit, I've accumulated a fair amount of Gen II experience over the last 6+ years with 7 Explorers/Mountaineers and an ST. Down to 3 now and counting. I hate the idea of having to move on to something newer and having to start learning all over again.

Well! The previous owner thought the skip was due to the PCV valve, which was actually bad, but replacing it did not stop skip. O'Reilly's hooked up their tester and said that there were two codes: one for Bank 1 running lean, and the second for cylinder 1 misfire. When I got home, I had a prayer session over the truck (yes, I did) and found fairly quickly that cylinder #1's injector was unplugged. Fancy that! The previous owners must've done that accidentally while replacing wires/plugs just before we bought it.

New one on me Steve.
Me too...just got done reading it...still trying to figure out correct differential fluid for d4 3.73 limited slip..people on forum use a different weight...should i get synthetic and what weight..also. Atf for our power steering pump..that foreign to me..any advise appreciated..

Well! The previous owner thought the skip was due to the PCV valve, which was actually bad, but replacing it did not stop skip. O'Reilly's hooked up their tester and said that there were two codes: one for Bank 1 running lean, and the second for cylinder 1 misfire. When I got home, I had a prayer session over the truck (yes, I did) and found fairly quickly that cylinder #1's injector was unplugged. Fancy that! The previous owners must've done that accidentally while replacing wires/plugs just before we bought it.
Nice fix

Yes. Get it from Ford (Motorcraft) . It used to be about $12.

Yes. Get it from Ford (Motorcraft) . It used to be about $12.
Thanks..what about using a different brand diff fluid? Like mobil. Or should both be motorrcraft

Thanks..what about using a different brand diff fluid? Like mobil. Or should both be motorrcraft

You can use any high quality synthetic gear oil, but be sure to include the Motorcraft friction modifier.

Back