• Register Today It's free!

01 sport v6

N1265

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 explorer
Thinking of getting an 01 sport, just wondering if these were all SOHC motors and did Ford have a handle on the timing chain issue by then ?

Or are they all suspect around 150k ?

Any other common issues with these 01 sports ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The '01 Sport will have the SOHC motor. Consensus is the timing chain issues weren't fixed until '03, I think. Maintenance as much a mileage may determine possible issues with that. Transmissions, as in most with the 5R55E, is the only other issues I know of. Check it out well.

I have heard that the timing chain issues were corrected for the 05 model year. I have an 01 sport with an 07 Mustang V6. That'll fix it!

Many Thanks, looking to replace my '96 ....

timing chain improvements

I have heard that the timing chain issues were corrected for the 05 model year. I have an 01 sport with an 07 Mustang V6. That'll fix it!

I think that the last improvements to the timing chain related components were incorporated in the 2002 models. A new rear guide assembly I obtained from Ford last year had no metal reinforcement on the traction side as shown below.
RRear.jpg

This component can eventually fail from heat, vibration and stress fatigue as mine did at 150,000 miles.
RCasset.jpg

So there all plastic now ?

Back