01 Sport Differences

just1me

Reaction score
City, State
Pryor, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ranger Stepside 2.5
01 EXPLORER SPORT

The crossover date for the 01 sport/sporttrac seems to be stated as June-24-2000, which is supposed to be the cutoff date for Job1 and the beginning of Job2.

My 01 sport’s build date is September-11-2000 yet I have noticed some wiring differences. According to the many wiring diagrams I have looked at the 01 sport and sporttrac had a early wiring harness, and a later wiring harness.

Being built on 9-11-2000 I thought my sport would have the later wiring harness but it doesn’t. What first caught my attention and puzzled me, is when I looked at the owner’s manual. I noticed that the battery junction box under the hood was not the same as the one shown in the manual. There are 2 different battery junction boxes depending on the early/late wiring harness.The auxiliary relay box 1 is also laid out different.

Below is the one that I have in my 01. It is laid out as the one below only the fuses are in different locations, the relays are black and the first 3 pair is filled, but the 4th pair is empty, which is 48a and 48b the fog lamp and fog isolation relay in the early wiring harness. (Mine did not come with fogs) Also if you notice the 01 ranger 2.5, 3.0, and 4.0 have the same battery junction box as below, but the 2.3 box is different.

01rangerB.png

This is the later battery junction box also from another 01sport model below, see the difference.

01sportbjblate.jpg

The later version has the 3rd pair of relays moved, and the 4th slot is for a single 5 pin relay. As in the later wiring some of the relays were moved to the auxiliary box1, which is located on the passenger side under the hood, below the air box assembly.

Now again here is the difference between auxiliary box 1 in the early and later wiring harness. The first one below is the early one, which I have under the hood of my 01 sport. The single relay is the high speed fan control relay.

auxrelaybox-1.jpg

Then here is the later auxiliary box 1 layout. Notice the difference. Some of the relays were moved around in the later wiring harness.

auxrelayboxlater-1.jpg

Then there are other differences I do not know of them all, but like the location for the keyless entry module. Early 01 models before June-24-2000 seem to be located behind the passenger rear cargo panel, where as those built after the 24th seem to be located behind the passenger airbag under the dash as was mine.

Then in 01 Ford also made a switch midyear it seems with the 5R55E transmission, as some had the extra ISS sensor, and some did not. The early models seem to have not but those later did as does mine.

Below is the early 01 5R55E

5R55E.jpg

Here is the later 01 5R55E notice the ISS sensor above the transmission range sensor and linkage.

01sporttrans.jpg

Then there was some differences in the 4.0 SOHC engine itself between the early and later 01 model. I have the later style in my 01 sport.

Below is the early 01 4.0 SOHC.

early.jpg

Here is the later 01 4.0 SOHC.

late.jpg

Notice the differences in the intakes and valve covers, as well as a few other small items.

It can be kind of confusing at first when looking up fuses, and relays in the battery junction box, as well as wiring diagrams if you don’t know what to look for. The pics I posted I found here and elsewhere on the internet. If anyone else has anything to add about the 01 Sport please feel free, as I would like to learn more myself about all the changes made in the 01 year.

Interesting & informative!

Thank you for the very interesting and informative post! I wonder which intake manifold has the best performance. The later one seems to take up less space and the right valve cover may be removable without first removing the upper intake manifold.

I'm not sure, I guess it would come down to runner length and size. Today I learned something else new, my 01 does not have Daytime Running Lights, (DRL), but as I was working underneath today I found that it is already prewired for it, and has all the wiring, plug, and everything. I found the plug for the DRL up front hooked to a plastic dummy plug. All the wires are there that run to the battery junction box, and into the cab to the central junction box as well.

Back