01 X sport died at 50mph | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 X sport died at 50mph

Hmm...that's interesting. Ford must have produced a few of those to satisfy the small percentage of its customers that shun automatics..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much are you asking and where are you located

I don't think any of the Explorers past 1st gen have manuals (stock) either, although I may be wrong there.

Actually at least up until 2002 you could get manuals. I've owned 2 second gens with manuals and 2 3rd gen (2001-2003) Sports with manuals. You could get them in the 4 door 3rd gens in at least 2002.

thats what i thought too but just a few days ago i got in a 2004 xls (yeah thats not a typo XLS) 4 door with a manual....it was the coolest x ive seen! i should have taken some pictures. the shifter looked so trick it had the full center console with a short shifter sticking up out of it. at first i thought no way so i went n looked it up by VIN and sure enough it was all in there as factory stuff. now i want one!!!

Are you sure it wasn't a 2002? I kept track of the 3rd gen Explorers with manuals because I wanted to get one for a while and was almost positive none had manuals past 2002.

Hmm, I was obviously mistaken then. My apologies :)

There just must not be very many out there. But then again, the majority of people prefer automatics to driving a stick. I don't really mind, I can drive a stick just as well as an auto. They can do a little better on gas too, because you have more control over when you up and down shift.

Actually it's a Sport...the sport is the only model of the Explorer that was produced in 2001. Also, the XLT is 4-Door, and this one's a two-door :)

Actually there were XLT Sports, and later on XLS Sports. I have owned 2 and currently own one.

What's the difference between them? I know there's a slight difference on the 4-door models, but I thought that all Sports were the same, save the fact that they were either 2WD or 4WD.

What's the difference between them? I know there's a slight difference on the 4-door models, but I thought that all Sports were the same, save the fact that they were either 2WD or 4WD.

At first there was only the Sport trim level which encompassed any of the features you could get on them. Then they added the XLT (but I think didn't add the XLS at the same time) which I'm guessing came with stuff like overhead console, tilt, cruise that kind of stuff. And I think the regular Sports were like the XLS. So there was Sport, and Sport XLT. Then later on in addition to the XLT they added the XLS and the options for each ran mostly the same as in the 4 door with those trim levels. The XLS could be obtained with a manual trans. No tilt or cruise, overhead console or anything like that. They did come in 2wd or 4wd. The XLTs only had automatics and had the features above the standard features. Now these are 2001-2003 Sports I'm talking about.

Are you sure it wasn't a 2002? I kept track of the 3rd gen Explorers with manuals because I wanted to get one for a while and was almost positive none had manuals past 2002.

im almost positive it was an 04 but there is always that big chance that im wrong. either way...it was a manual and it was sweet....and i want it.

Back