02 4x4 Vibrating at low speed when turning, help locate technical service bulletin | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 4x4 Vibrating at low speed when turning, help locate technical service bulletin

^ i would have to look what mine took.

or you can go to your ford shop and they can type in your VIN and they will let you know how much you need.

good luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed a similar sounding problem tonight with my 02 explorer (V6, auto 4wd) but it only seems to be when I have the steering wheel locked in a hard right or hard left turn, like into a parking space. Is this the same problem as mentioned in the TSB, or have I discovered an entirely new gremlin?

It sounds to me like you have the same problem, and it's been a while since my original post, so I'll share my experience to date as well. I replaced the gear fluid in the rear diff as one of the mechanics recommended in a post, included the additive (friction modifier) he suggested, and that didn't help matters much. In fact, the problem seems to be getting progressively worse. I don't know if that's the result of the new fluid having a different viscosity, or if the clutch components are starting to wear more. Either way, I'm at the point now where I'm thinking I'll have to replace the clutch pack soon.

If you find a solution that works, please reply to the post and let me know. I'll do the same.

Good luck.

I have an 04 V8 4x4 WITH 128 K. I have this exact same issue and thought it was the front end until reading the TSB. It makes sense now (duh) that when turning, one rear wheel turns faster then the other anf will need to slip to function properly...

I just changed the fluid. Didnt have the time to do it myself, so I went to the Midas quickee lube place (Like jiffy lube) and it was $62 bucks. The problem didnt go away (yet), but is at least 60+% better and im hoping it will keep loosening up. The midas place listed that the put in..

75W140 GLS-P
3500 LTD ADD

I also have a different and seperate issue that looks like its going to be a bearing that just started not too long ago. Hope that ends well! hahah

Great site here. Will save me lots of money!

fluid weight and friction modifier needed

Hey guys newbie to the forum, but love the help you get from it. I'm gonna tackle this binding and grind in the diff this week. Can anyone tell me what fluids they use (how much approx) and what friction modifier you used (again approx how much) and do you have to go to the dealer to get it. I appreciate the help.

I previously owned a 2002 Explorer with the binding issue. I changed the fluids as recommended and everything was great. Then I sold it and bought another 2002 Explorer. This one did not have the binding but had the whinning. So I replaced the fluids as discussed in this forum and the whinning went down; however, the binding issue is now present.

Any thoughts on why the binding would have presented itself after a fluid change with the friction modifier? I would prefer to not replace the fluid again or to take it to the dealer but this one has me confused a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Found solution...finally!

My apologies for not posting this reply sooner folks. I thought I had until I read the most recent post and scrolled through to see my entries.

I resolved the issue by using Mobile 1 gear oil (75W-140) along with a 4 ounce tube of the Motorcraft friction modifier, which I did have to purchase from the local Ford dealer. Previous attempts to use convntional gear oil and an aftermarket friction modifier didn't help.

Once I added all the new gear oil & modifier, I then went to a nearby school parking lot and drove about a dozen tigh figure 8s to circulate the fluids (this was suggested in one of the many posts I resourced on the forum).

Since the fluid change and figure 8s, I haven't had a single episode of grinding during low speed turns and no gear "chatter" at all. Almost like magic, the Mobile 1 & Motorcraft modifier worked like a charm!

Good luck!

Thanks, I will give that a try! Just need to find the time now.

Back