'02 AWD Mountaineer-trans started hard shifting - help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 AWD Mountaineer-trans started hard shifting - help

meyek91974

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky - Let me no f u r nearby
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer 2wd Edd.B
This past week my father-in-laws' '02 Mountaineer V6 AWD transmission started hard shifting. I drove it around the block and it feels that the gears drop into the next as opposed to gliding from gear to gear easily.

What would you think of to inspect?
I thought he could/should change the fluid?????
Please help. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it was a sudden change in behavior that happens every shift all the time.... you had a solenoid go bad or something mechanically fail. a fluid change is not likely to rectify this behavior

Check for Digital Trouble Code(s) first. imp

EDIT: They do not always cause a Check Engine light, depending on source. For example, the ABS Module can disable the truck's operation with a "Forced Limited Power", with no CEL ever turned on. (Happened to me). imp

He said today that in the last couple days he tried driving, the longer he drove it was like the engine revved but there was no power or go. For now, he's only driving a mile or two to grocer or such, and again when I went around the block the rims rise as driving then the tranny drops or clunky into the next gear.

Are these computer codes things that Autozone checks for?

He said today that in the last couple days he tried driving, the longer he drove it was like the engine revved but there was no power or go. For now, he's only driving a mile or two to grocer or such, and again when I went around the block the rims rise as driving then the tranny drops or clunky into the next gear.

Are these computer codes things that Autozone checks for?

Auto Zone or any good parts store will generally read codes free. Beware they are in business to sell parts, and often are not too freely talkative about what they see. A good one should let the owner read the codes for himself, and write them down. The code scanner must also be "CAN" capable, a protocol allowing reading of transmission codes. Cheapies cannot. imp

I got a used Transmission with about 120,000 installed by a small shop. It shifted well for about 4 months I never really drove hard or anything until this instance. I was behind a turning vehicle on the highway so I slowed to around 20-25 then floored it to take off again. That's when I felt a shutter/shake, ( it was under a mile to home) then the OD light started flashing, although I made it home. The next morning going to work I noticed the light still flashing and it shifted hard between 1st-2nd and 4th-5th. The rest of the gears seem to be fine. After I drove home after work I parked it. I know enough to park it before I really break it. I was asking to see if there was enough of these stories to narrow down my trouble shooting process.

Fluid, easy to check.

Back