02 explorer 4.0 timing chains | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer 4.0 timing chains

russm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer
02 explorer was still running but timing chain rattling, rear cassette broken. pulled motor, changed all gears and chains using OTC cam tools. spun over several times, put back in. cranked, ran really rough a few seconds and died, great compression on 2,4, and 6. no compression on 1 3 and 5. Going to tear back down thursday. is it possible to have one cam 180 out, using the OTC tools, I thought they would only fit one way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting ready to do this on my explorer soon. But 123 are on pass side and 456 on drivers side so if one cam is out you would think only one side comp would be off. Hope some one chimes in on this for ya. I'll do some research and get back with ya. Did anything move while you removed gears and chains? Did you rotate crank while chains were off? Just wondering.

I'm new here if I knew how to post pics out of my Haynes manual from my phone I would post to help you out.

Pulled intake and valve covers today, cam gear on passenger side slipped, torqued bolts to spec but still slipped, so guessing bent valves, makes me miss my old Chevy 350

Sry to here that hope it's not the case.

torque spec

The torque specification for the passenger side camshaft sprocket retaining bolt depends on if the OTC 6488 lever is being used. When using the lever the torque value is reduced due to the mechanical advantage of the lever arm. Also, many "click type" torque wrenches do not "click" on bolts that tighten counter-clockwise. Mine doesn't so I use a deflection type torque wrench on left hand thread bolts. Click on the following link for SOHC V6 related torque values: SOHC V6 Torque Specifications

Yea but using the tool provided in kit you would be tightening from backside and torque wrench would work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

from the front

Item 1 is the socket for the passenger side camshaft sprocket retaining bolt and item 2 is the lever arm that goes with the socket.
OTC6488Kit.jpg

As you pointed out the torque wrench drive could be inserted into the lever arm from the rear or the front. If inserted from the front the retaining nut would tighten clockwise. If inserted from the rear it would tighten counter-clockwise. The confusion is probably the reason the bolt breaks more frequently than it should

Ok finally pulled motor back out, jackshaft gear split all the way through allowing it to slip, bending valves, got heads off, trying to remove valves without removing cam. got 3 with screwdriver. My question is can I use OTC 7928 valve spring tool?

Otc 7928?

I don't know but it's not listed as suitable. The valve spring compression tool for the SOHC V6 is Ford part number T97T-6565-A, or Rotunda SPX 303-581, or OTC 303-581.
Rotunda_SPX_303-581_LG.jpg

There's a used one on ebay for $175:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Rotunda-Valve-Spring-Compressor-T97T-6565-A-4-0L-303-581-/371101826923 and a new one for $180:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Valve-Spring-Compressor-4-0L-SOHC-303-581-T97T-6565-A-Fast-Shipping-/181382466498?hash=item2a3b3ccbc2&item=181382466498&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
The OTC 7928 is similar in shape but has a 75 degree angle instead of the 135 degree angle.
OTC7928.jpg

Back