02 Explorer 5R55W Rebuild Snafu | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer 5R55W Rebuild Snafu

Ranger J.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
Bought an Explorer that had been repaired after a front end collision, tranny failed because body shop didn't replenish fluid lost from cut cooler line. I replaced fluid and filter, got a year out of it, then had tranny rebuilt by an independent transmission repair shop. It leaked slightly at the converter/pump seal area immediately, and was exhibiting high rpm upshifts to the point where it would seem like the pump was cavitating, at times also kicking out the overdrive by itself and flashing th o/d light , as well as exhibiting harsh upshifts at other times. I did check the fluid level periodically, and ran the vehicle normally to see how long this would last, taking into consideration the extended learn cycle these things have a reputation for. At 2,000 miles, with the leaking and erratic shifting still occurring, and the shop owner balking at helping me, I took the vehicle to a reputable Ford dealership that told me the leak was likely a front seal sizing issue or converter issue where it meets the seal. They added that the trans case may have worn to the point where it was developing ridges that would stop certain mechanical parts from working smoothly, causing high up shifts, setting slipping codes,which it did, etc.

At 2,500 miles, the transmission began shifting normally, still leaks though, but I don't have any indication that slipping is occurring, save a tendency of the thing to still have uncomfortably high rpm upshifts under light or heavy throttle application.

My questions are: How many miles does the tranny typically require to complete the learn cycle? What operational quirks can I expect to see? Ford says up to 1,000 miles, but says no slipping-related codes should occur and no loss of overdrive and flashing O/D light.

Ranger J.

In terms of time how long ago transmission been rebuilt? Seems that there would have been some sort of warranty on the rebuilding. The trans shop should have stepped up and made good on the warranty. A rebuilt should have lasted longer than 2000 miles. Seems the the shop didn't know what they were doing. You should go back and have them redo the transmission and tell about the seal sizing.

Watch this for the relearning.

Thanks for the video re: transm relearn. There seem to be a few opinions about the number of miles / types of learn symptoms to be expected, not to mention optimum acceleration techniques to shorten the learn cycle.

I did all this a couple of months ago. The transmission was r/r 'd by me (was ASE certified master line tech for decades, GM/ Toyota, though, so a little out of my element) The terms were 1year /12,000 mile guarantee, providing I haul the transmission back out if it acts up. Proprietor came recommended by someone I trust, who has his own shop. Proprietor not having a good day or getting by on volume production. I'm due to meet him in small claims court tomorrow about this and thought I'd arm myself with some info. from this forum. Assuming the proprietor would provide me with a working unit, after I checked with him to ascertain case integrity, I sank a couple of thou. into the vehicle. It was really nice looking and fun to drive. My big mistake was in violating my own rule and not purchasing a deadly first year major body change. It's got lots of issues that I'm now seeing addressed in various places in this forum. Uh oh!

If I win all my money back tomorrow, I'll go buy a unit from Jasper and start over. If not, guess I'm dumping the poor beast.

Back