1997 Ford Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer XLT

This thread will be dedicated to all the crap that I do to my truck ;)

I got my explorer from my fiance's parents for free. It had 163k miles on it, garage kept, new motor in 2002 (first one snapped the timing chain), always serviced at the ford dealer.

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think we also need to see the Vic touch 'em off against the Marauder... :D

Nice Ex!

I'll take over from here

First thing we did, since the headlights were nasty, was replace them with some almost brand new OEM replacement housings

IMG_4102.jpg

Next up, I did a tuneup with bosch plugs and duralast wires.

IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

I also put in new depo foglights, so it doesn't look like every other stock 95-98 explorer with filthy black fog lights, and only one works :p:
IMG_4174.jpg

Next up was a 6000K Bi xenon HID kit from DDM
IMG_4178.jpg

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

One of the license plate lights was out so.... SMD LED license plate lights
IMG_4205.jpg

And after alot of fighting with bulbs and switches, the entire interior is back to illuminating after swapping in a limited wood radio bezel
IMG_4204.jpg

Lots of good work...

...but you're going to learn to hate the Bosch Plugs shortly... :)

Grille looks new too- is it a replacement? Very clean Ex! :thumbsup:

Moving on to what we did today :thumbsup:

1.5" lift with 31" all terrains and soft 8's from LiKuiD's 94

Getting started
57b99e2f.jpg

6f25ec99.jpg

6f717401.jpg

f5347618.jpg

5467c8f8.jpg

4e1187aa.jpg

a4cffbec.jpg

Later, 00meangreenXLT this n00b stopped by, so I took these... It was a Ford-A-Thon in Fords today....
73c237fd.jpg

d18dc360.jpg

Lots of good work...

...but you're going to learn to hate the Bosch Plugs shortly... :)

Grille looks new too- is it a replacement? Very clean Ex! :thumbsup:

It was the cheapest that autozone had... The Bosch platinums have been working fine for 1000 miles... The plugs and wires came out to 55 dollars... The plugs were about a buck a plug, the motorcraft OEM plugs were 5 dollars a plug :rolleyes:

And no the grille isn't new, its just a 14 year old garage kept grille :thumbsup:

did you do shackles and a TT for lift?

I'll get some daylight pictures tomorrow with the warrior shackles and torsion twist done... I think we got about 1.5" of lift, but I didn't measure before hand (oops). However, the truck isn't leaning on the drivers side anymore, and the tires dont rub the running boards, and it isn't raked anymore... So thats good enough for me! :thumbsup:

afc8a438.jpg

Last thing I did today was put in 3000k HIDs in the fog lights from DDM... they are bright as :censored:

a2ad07d0.jpg

IDK why the pass side looks more green... they look this way when they are warming up
5177d560.jpg

5ccfc99a.jpg

ec91671c.jpg

5c8da0d8.jpg

61e67e7d.jpg

Low
69f7dfae.jpg

Hi
7b6a5565.jpg

I'm extremely happy with how this truck turned out... the speedometer is still accurate within 2mph as well! Monday it goes for an alignment, its not to off, it barely pulls to the right depending on the road. Next up is the exhaust, then shocks and brakes.

looks good keep up good work

Great work- looks really good with the 31's and black rims...

Looks really good, I like it!

did you convert the dash and center to LEDs or is that the stock color?, can't really tell..

if so, how'd you go about changing out the fog/rear wiper lights?

thats one nice & clean x definitely does look way better with the 31's & black rims instead of those ugly stock ones it had:thumbsup: .if the white pinstripe was removed it would look alot nicer :D keep up the great work

did you convert the dash and center to LEDs or is that the stock color?, can't really tell..

if so, how'd you go about changing out the fog/rear wiper lights?

Its all stock, however they do make little LED's that would fit in the buttons... check out V-leds.com

thats one nice & clean x definitely does look way better with the 31's & black rims instead of those ugly stock ones it had:thumbsup: .if the white pinstripe was removed it would look alot nicer :D keep up the great work

I'd like to pull the stripe off, i dont know how the owner of the truck would feel.

Do yourself a favor and get the Motorcraft plug's. Ford's are finicky, mine wouldn't even fire on three cylinders with NGK's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the fog lights are jesus effing christ bright.... I want to rewire it so the fogs come on with the parking lights, so I can aim them without the headlights on... I aimed them twice, but i kept it under the headlight pattern... When it was even with the headlights it was lighting up the 2nd story of a house across the parking lot....

Also, the alignment is done, truck drives great. The ride is stiffer with the TT, but I like it this way, it was so floaty and boaty before hand, now its alot more responsive and the steering turn in feels sharper.

108824d7.jpg

I don't know why it looks like its leaning in this pic, because its not in real life... Maybe my camera was off ,probably
8c1cd9ce.jpg

Low beams
82910265.jpg

Low beams with fogs :D
5155694f.jpg

89a16bae.jpg

5cfc649e.jpg

Back