02 Sport Trac Engine Swap HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport Trac Engine Swap HELP

cabowabo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Sport Trac
The engine in my 02 Sport Trac blew up. I'm looking for a replacement, going on year and visuals alone (ignorance at it's finest) I'm not having any luck. What I have found is this 2000 4.0 SOHC Explorer engine (pictured below). Will this fit in my truck? Will it fit my transmission? And what would I have to change to complete this swap? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

whxqa1.jpg

Larger Picture:
http://oi43.tinypic.com/24qo85f.jpg

My CURRENT BLOWN engine:
ve6t6b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

swap parts

Obviously the intake manifold, and valve covers are different. That probably means that the EGR and engine wiring harness is also different. If the EGR is different then the exhaust manifolds may be different. If the manifold is different then the fuel rails may be different. I can't tell from your Sport Trac photo if the accessories (A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump, belt tensioner) are the same. The long block will mate with your transmission. If your Sport Trac is 4WD it has a balance shaft. The 2000 should have one also if it is 4WD.

The short version of what Dale is trying to say:

Yes the basic engine will work, you may need to swap a bunch of parts over from your current engine.

You currently have a Job2 motor which has better intake and timing chains/ tensioners. There ar alot of little difference's, you'r better off finding a Job2 motor from a late '02-05 ST, late '02-03 Explorer Sport, IIRC the late '02-05 Ranger's have the same motor as well. There are tons of threads with all the answer's already in them on here in this forum and the drivetrain forum.

The big question is: How did your engine blow? Doesn't seem like too many do, especially the Job 2's (at least with the timing components).

Back