03 4.6 BAD MPG... NO CODES? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 4.6 BAD MPG... NO CODES?

I’m doubting the 2 second rattle is the heat shields, I’d be much more inclined to think it’s your timing tensioners. If your wires are 2-3 years old, and aren’t factory, or a very quality brand they are probably due again.

For some reason I was thinking this was a SOHC. Your mileage probably isn’t terribly low then, depending on where it actually is. Do you warm the truck up any?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For some reason I was thinking this was a SOHC. Your mileage probably isn’t terribly low then, depending on where it actually is. Do you warm the truck up any?

Mine is a SOHC, right? 4.6 2 valve. I warm it up when I park it outside sometimes, but lately i've been parking in the garage. let the idle drop to less than 1k revs then drive off. It gets up to temp within 4-5 minutes and I don't go above 3k until then. Rarely go over 4k. Thanks!

I was referring to the extremely problematic 4.0 SOHC. From what I understand the 4.6 occasionally suffers tensioner issues, but it’s not a sure thing like the 4.0s

I was referring to the extremely problematic 4.0 SOHC. From what I understand the 4.6 occasionally suffers tensioner issues, but it’s not a sure thing like the 4.0s

Ah yes. an old school friend of mine had an 02 4.0 with a stick and he had endless problems with that motor.

It could be a combination of factors, one being how you're calculating MPG but also the slow speed stop and go till you get to the highway. Other things that can reduce real MPG are low tire inflation, heavier and/or aggressive terrain tread tires, or larger than stock diameter tires which can reduce apparent MPG by the vehicle traveling further than the odometer indicates, though these latter tire factors would have been present with the prior owner's reported MPG if you haven't changed tires, except he could have factored for a diameter difference in a MPG calculation.

Suppose you're only putting in 19 gallons at a fillup, that puts you at 220/19 = 11.6MPG. Suppose stop and go and neighborhood travel takes it down to 10MPG 1/3rd if your commute time, but it still takes 10 minutes to go 7 miles so your expected MPG could drop to around 15MPG. That is consistent with owner reports with the V8 on sites like this:
Gas Mileage of 2003 Ford Explorer

Tire differences could knock another 1-2MPG off that, old O2 sensors maybe another 1MPG, and this could bring it down to 12-13MPG which isn't far off from 11.6MPG. You mentioned you "cleaned" your air filter. Is it one of those oiled types that maybe fouls the MAF sensor or the MAF sensor just needs cleaned anyway?

It still seems like there might be a couple MPG missing somewhere, which is where getting the fuel trims to see if it's running rich come in if none of the above are issues, or if there's an intermittent misfire, not enough to set a code (maybe pending code?).

Thanks J_C. Still haven't got around to run a scanner on it (it's finals week for me currently so I'm driving a different car in meant time). It's on some off-brand all seasons the car came with (still safe to drive, but I should probably replace them sometime next year). They're filled to 30 up front, 35 in back (factory specs). I haven't cleaned the MAF sensor which I plan on doing soon. I promise I'll get back to all of you when I have time to see what's wrong with it. For now, still a couple days of finals:help:! Thanks again!

Hey all! Good news. Found some time to go to a friend who knows Fords. Had him help me find a problem and run his scanner. Found a pending code for running rich on bank 1. Found one injector was leaking. Will replace all soon just because it probably could use some new Motorcraft ones. Thanks to all for your help!

New injectors would have made a noticeable difference, even if that one had been ‘healthy’ Great find, I’m sure it’ll make a noticeable improvement.

Replaced them all and she's back up to 14-16 mpg. My brother told me he no longer smelled "that funny smell". I asked him what he was talking about and he told me he thought I had realized the rotten egg smell of gas. Guess I got used to it:dunno: But anyways, no more smells. That rattle on startup is still there. Maybe I'll start a thread on that. Thanks again!

Back