03 Explorer transmission acting up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer transmission acting up

smithmattp

Reaction score
City, State
Norway, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer 97 Ranger
I have been reading a lot about the transmission problems and mine is a little bit different and not sure how to cure. Occasionally the transmission seems to slip out of gear and into nuetral when stopping quickly, going from park to drive, or reverse to drive. when it happens you can hit the accelerator and it just revs up like in nuetral until it gets up in rpm then will slam into gear. or you can go back to park and try again and most of the time starts. I don't get the blinking overdrive light like I have seen previously reading. the dangerous part is if you happen to stop quick and then try to go it just revs up like in nuetral.It will also make a whining or high pitched humming noise when stopped and in drive for example when going thru drive thru you hear it. this only happens once in a while not every time you drive it but enough to be a problem. I have changed the filter and fluid with no change. the only thing I can compare it to is like you have low fluid and the tourqe converter doesn't catch. any ideas???:usa:

trans

Still sounds like low fluid to me

Low fluid.

I will double check the fluid. thanks.

Back