03 Expo Code p0765, rough downshift and shift into reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Expo Code p0765, rough downshift and shift into reverse

Scurvy

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0l
So my 03 Expo is causing me problems.

I spent nearly $4000 rebuilding the transmission slightly over 2 years ago. Everything was going good until recently, when I started getting delayed/hard downshifts (particularly when driving at slow speeds downhill, like 20km/hr on gravel roads sorta thing), and shifting into reverse is delayed (takes 3+ seconds to go into gear) and clunks hard when it goes into gear. Giving it a bit of gas will get it to shift into reverse faster, but then it clunks even harder. Sometimes it'll cause the OD off light to flash, and my bluetooth code reader is throwing code p0765 which is for a Shift Solenoid D circuit malfunction.

I went to check the fluid level over the weekend, and when I pulled the t30 plug out fluid started pouring out so I plugged it back up. I had been driving the truck a bit, so I think the transmission was too hot; there was gold flakes in the fluid though which concerns me.

This only happens once things have heated up, when its cold the transmission shifts into reverse normally.

The truck is sitting at a repair shop now; not the same shop as I had it rebuilt at, because I have since moved and that shop is no longer local to me. The shop just called me, and based on a test drive they think the torque converter is going bad.

So, based on the symptoms of hard downshifts and delayed reverse, plus the p0765 code does a torque converter sound like a likely issue? If not, any guesses as to what might be the issue? I was hoping it would be something like the solenoid pack needs replacing, would that cause my issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I woouldn't think the converter has anything to do with the code and the issue. I would check the case connector for corrosion and if it looks good I would replace the solenoid block.

I picked up the truck from the shop. They want $4200 to rebuild my transmission, and not only can I not afford that, but I can't justify putting a 2nd transmission in a truck with 320k km on it. In addition to the p0765 that my scanner had picked up previously, they also got codes p0768 (Shift Solenoid D Electrical) and p1717 (Shift Solenoid 4 fault).

They dropped the pan and sent me some pictures. You can see a fair amount of stuff on the magnet, as well as what they described as "a chunk of gasket".

pavdz4V.jpg

XhzIkN2.jpg

I woouldn't think the converter has anything to do with the code and the issue. I would check the case connector for corrosion and if it looks good I would replace the solenoid block.
Which connector should I be checking? I found this diagnostic PDF on the net, it labels 4 different connectors on the transmission.

The case connector is circled in red and is not listed on that picture, its held down with a 10mm bolt.

Water from the AC drain drips right on top of that connector and causes corrosion.

That magnet is a little concerning with the amout of metal on it.

5R55W Case Connector.PNG

Could that much metal be the result of a faulty solenoid, or does that seem unlikely? There was also some gold flakes in my trans fluid when I pulled the t30 plug on the weekend.

Also, care to comment on the chunk of gasket? Any guesses on where that might have come from, or is it impossible to really say without pulling the tranny apart?

I'm thinking I might have to take it back to the shop that rebuilt it. Its not under warranty, but maybe they can either fix it without a complete rebuild or cut me a deal... Problem is they're not local, so getting it dropped off during the week (not open weekends, of course...) is a pain in my arse.

The metal is not from a solenoid, it will be from inside the trans like converter or gear train componants, or it is left over from the last time the transmission failed and this debris came from the cooler.

The gasket is hard to make out from the picture, gaskets dont typicaly get stuck on magnets because they dont really have any metal in them. This transmission is not known for gaskets to blow out so its a bit unusual to have that. You can pull the valve body down and see if it came from the valve body gaskets.

Back