03 Mounty tune up questions

SimpleKindaMan

Reaction score
City, State
Southside of Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Mountaineer AWD 4.0LV6
I had a few questions about my tune-up.

1) Can someone point me to a good write up or video on how to change the fuel filter? I got the special tool but I don't know how to use it.

2) Whats the best way to get out the spark plugs? I'm gonna be doing this at my buddies house cuz he has a hydraulic lift if they're easier to get at from underneath.

3) I'm changing the differential fluid and have never used that liquid gasket stuff. How tight should the bolts be when I torque em down? How much of the liquid gasket do I need to use? Is it bad if it gets inside the diff when I'm torquing it down?

Thanks.

-Fuel filter thread is above in the sticky's. You will only need to use the tool on one end.

-I don't know about the V6, but the spark plugs should be easy to get from the top.

-And changing the rear differential fluid should be only a drain plug to drain and then a fill plug to fill. Go to the auto part store and buy a 12 dollars manual fluid pump to add the fluid. Makes it MUCH easier. On the front, not sure if there is a drain/fill plug or not. But if you do use the silicone, you only need about a 1/8 wide run and then you can lightly smooth it with your finger. Don't wipe it off, just lightly smooth it over.

And I assume because your buddy has a hydraulic lift, he should know a thing or two about cars. If so, he could be of some help when you do this.

And I assume because your buddy has a hydraulic lift, he should know a thing or two about cars.
You'd think that, but it was more or less a perk that came with his house when he bough it haha.

Of course there'd be a sticky right there in front of me for the fuel filter how to. Got it. Should be able to tackle that. I saw in the maintainace guide that it needs to be changed quite often. I have a feeling the stock ones gonna be in there when I open it up.

I havn't quite looked at the diff yet. I think it might not have a drain plug, so I might hafta take the whole thing apart then reseal it to drain it that way. We'll see.

Back