'03 Ranger/B2300 shift knob replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'03 Ranger/B2300 shift knob replacement?

kaffn8ed27

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I'm trying to replace the shift knob on my truck, a 2003 Mazda B2300 (5-spd man). Does the stock one just pop off? I hear it's just glued down. Also, how can I tell if a custom one off the shelf will fit after I get it off?
:troops:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is glued onto splines so it cannot be unscrewed. Pull straight up from the lever. Warming carefully with a hair dryer or heat gun may help.

don't hit yourself onto your face..

also you can buy a shift assembily from the dealership for a ranger FX4 level 2 its chrome and looks real nice

I have an 04 ranger 5 speed and my knob wont come off is it glued on as well with splines?

Most likely, yes; the Ranger and Mazda trucks haven't changed much since '94. I wound up having to use a hammer, block of wood, and screwdriver to get mine off. It took about an hour but now that I've done it once I could probably do it faster. Just don't plan on using the stock shift knob again--mine was completely destroyed in the process. Good luck!:salute:

Shift Knob

Has anyone ever found a decent shift knob replacement for the manual transmission? Mine is stripped out and since I was going to have to glue it on anyway I thought I'd put something a little more attractive in it's place. Do you have to replace the whole shifter? Not sure why Ford went with the solution they did since (as I almost found out the hard way) it can be kind of a safety issue when the knob comes off in your hand when you're pulling out into traffic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. and yes I do realize that something like replacing the shifter knob usually leads to a whole slew of other modifications that really don't make the truck drive any better or increase the resale value, but I've already replaced the stereo so it's probably already too late.

Re: decent shift knob

I found one at AutoZone. I don't remember what it's called but just about any will do, as long as it has a metal neck for the screws. The attachment is simply 3 screws that tighten onto the shifter, and mine has never come loose. Just be wary of those with a plastic neck; I had one and it cracked as I was tightening the screws. Mine cost about $20, and I think any in this price range will be of equal quality. Hope this helps!:salute:

Hell hit up ebay you can find some pretty kick ass looking shift knobs on there and you for sure wont see it in every other car you run into on the road since it aint just picked up at autozone or walmart nothing against anyone who has done that.....:)

Back