03 XLT with New 17" Wheel/Tire Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 XLT with New 17" Wheel/Tire Problems

Great Forum!!
I just changed my stock 16" wheels and Michelin Cross terrain 235/70/16's for some great looking wheels through Discount Tire. The wheels are MB Wheels, 17" 'Gunner 5's and I opted for the exact same tire in the appropriate 245/65/17 size. Sidewall drops only about 5mm and as my old tires had hardly any tread left, I expected similar or better ride quality. The wheel offset is -6 ... so vs my old wheel standard offset, they sat another 2 to 2.5 inches wider in the arches - looked great without encroaching outside the arches.
UGH!- Performance was another thing!

Discount tire had 3 attempts to balance them and failed (steering wheel shimmy at 75mph).

Ride quality over any sort of bumps was harsher. It felt like they were over inflated yet I ran them at the same 30psi/35psi pressures front/rear.

These wheels were NOT hubcentric. While that 'may' have been the balancing problem I doubt that would cause the harsher ride.

Sadly, I ended up returning them all for a refund and I'm back to my boring standard wheels and tires :mad:

HAS ANYONE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS WHY RIDE DETERIORATED ? COULD THE INCREASED OFFSET ACCOUNT FOR THAT?
SHOULD I ONLY CHOOSE HUBCENTRIC WHEELS ?
ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Back