'04 explorer xlt aux blend door problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'04 explorer xlt aux blend door problem

Bizmarck5425

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 xlt
I have a stock 2004 ford explorer xlt. The problem I am having is with the rear blend door, it was making a loud clicking so I did some research and wrench turning and found gears to be stripped in the actuator for the blend door. Got the OEM replacement from ford but when I try to install it it does not seem to work properyl, I.E. the actuator seems to have more range of motion then the blend door can physically move. I can move the blend door manually and it seems to be free of obstructions(all the way down gives me full cool and all the way up gives me full heat). Now when I first started the replacement I set the blend door to full cool turn the temp knob to full cool, plugged in the actuator, then turned the car on. I was told this would set everything in the correct position, but when I slide the actuator in the blend door peg it is ****ed off the screw holes about 15 degrees. It also seems that if I were to mount it and turn the knob it binds at full heat and full cool. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you did everything right . That is how i did mine ( i just have the manual blend door).

Did you hook up your blend door actuator first and turn it on and see if the thing moves back and forth? Maybe you got the wrong one? I know my box said "manual" on it.

Part numbers are the same and I got it from the ford dealership gave them the vin number

hmm. I thought there was one for a dual climate control set up?

Anyways, did you see if the actuator moves back and forth when you move the dail?

it does turn until it gets resistance the computer has to learn where the start and stop positions are. thats what makes the gears in the old one strip like mine did it just keeps turning and turning and of course the old one wasnt built that strong and strips and breaks the gears

all i was asking is for him to plug in the actuator, put it in front of him, turn on the power and move the climate control knob from hot to cold and see if the actuator moves.

Back