05 Mountaineer Heater Core Hose Routing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Mountaineer Heater Core Hose Routing?

rrack

Reaction score
City, State
san antonio, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mountaineer AWD
Been having some issues with the cooling system so I've been flushing like crazy ... I still have weak heat inside and started looking at the hose routing to the heater core... I think I might have crossed em... which is the inlet? the one closest to the driver side? The one that has the vacuum valve on goes on that one?

Anyone have a pic? I've got rear a/c as well...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the Ford books here for 2005 Mountaineer, I'll see if I can find it for you...OK, it doesn't show much in the manual, other than the at the firewall the upper hard line connects to the passenger side.

awesome! that would be much appreciated! I found some pics on another thread here but they have the vacuumed valve on the driver side core pipe. However, it looks like they don't have rear heat and therefore probably doesn't matter which is in or out... but ours does...There's some T-connections where the rear splices in...gonna get in there on my lunch break and trace lines again...

Really, I just wanna make double sure I got em right... This morning there was no heat unless revving to over 3k...recently flushed and has 50/50... thermo works fine temp rides a little under half... and that was with the vacuumed line going to the passenger side inlet (farthest from the driver seat) which is where is seems like it should be...ugh... if not maybe a weak pump...ugh... may be time to trader her in but not great timing...

darn...well, from what I can tell from the lines, it looks like the vacuum valve should be on the passenger side core b/c the other line has a metal T with return coolant from the rear...looks like it returns to the lower side of the pump... i probably have em correct... well, shouldn't be winter too much longer...

Rrack, have you visually verified the operations at the valve itself (which on some models is a "bypass " used only for MAX AC, shutting down flow to the core)? Just a thought. Either way you have it connected it should still work, I can't imagine it (the heater core passages) would only flow one way. I do have diagrams for the undercarriage piping if you need.

Also if you have DATC that is a system of five doors and of course the aforementioned valve, not counting the rear system. All this is controlled by the ATC manifold. You can induce vacuum with a hand pump for certain tests.
EDIT: Found this: According to the schematic, the coolant inlet to the heater core is from the heater control valve. And that is for DATC. One more thing from the pinpoint test: the passenger side of core is inlet, and the hose at the valve should be HOT, as well as the core inlet & outlet hoses.

Sure it's not a blend door issue?

Possibly, first confirm flow, then move on to the doors, vacuum lines, etc.

Back