• Register Today It's free!

05 transmission questions...

tackleberry

Reaction score
City, State
vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
My friend has a 2005 explorer, with 250k miles on it. the trans is def not original but is failing.
a little background....
the trans has an unknown number of miles, but it was a former las vegas taxicab. this cab, like most vegas cabs, run consistently for at the minimum 16 hours a day. shortest shifts this company had was 10 hour shifts, so figure some very few drivers may turn it off for 2-3 hours a day. most shifts are 12 hour. this cab was retired in december of 2009. so it has seen 4 vegas summers with 100 degree temps, and about 4 additional months of 90-100 degree months.

his trans has no first gear. even if you select first gear it does nothing but start in 2nd.
the trans has working reverse but only under certain conditions.
1. from a dead cold start, it will easily and promptly move into reverse.
2. when vehicle is warmed up, reverse is intermittent. sometimes it engages, but after a delay, and when it does it slams into reverse enough to chirp the wheels.
3. when its warmed up for longer periods of time, it very rarely goes into reverse, and sometimes shifting it a few times in reverse may get it to slam into reverse if the gas pedal is tapped a bit to raise RPMS

some good news tho, once 2nd gear is done (which is basically now first gear) trans is ready to shift into 3rd, 4th, 5th it is smooth and seems to be on time. he takes it on the freeway all the time and i personally have driven it and its smooth, just the lack of first gear its slow, but once 2nd gear is at its speed point its all good to go like normal.

now in my old 05 explorer, when i got it, it had 24k miles and had a similar problem but nowhere near severe. i always had reverse but when cold it was quick and when warm it was delayed a bit and felt hard going into reverse, but never slammed into gear to a point where it chirped the rear wheels. when the dealer i got it from took my explorer to get fixed at the ford dealer, i remember the repair sheet saying something about pitted checkballs.
this was the work order details.
================================================================
my tranny needed the following

transmission solenoid body erratic when hot caused checkballs in valve body to become pitted. removed solenoid body and replaced, removed valve body overhauled and replaced pitted checkballs

9L2Z 76391 A - solenoid assembley Q1 378.83
F6TZ 7E195 BB - Ball-checkvalve Q3 3.75
4L2Z 7Z490 AA - plate-thrust Q1 14.70
1L2Z 7A09B AC - screen assy Q1 24.15
6 qts of mercon fluid

total for this issue was $1159.51
================================================================

could the valve and solenoid body get so bad it could completely leave out first gear? comparing my issue to his symptoms, not all are the same his are more severe but many sound similar.

do the gears get damaged or is it basically disabled.

any help is appreciated, he cant pass smog without this fixed because the OBD2 is throwing trouble codes that cause it to fail. he has been driving this around like this since march lol. one mechanic said it would cost 2300 to rebuild. another option was to buy a trans and have it installed for 1500 total, but if its just the valvebody, i think i may be able to do this for him for a lot cheaper.

I was thinking "thats a lot of miles for an '05", then I read about its service life. That has got to be the roughest service I can imagine, this side of continuous heavy duty towing in mountains during hot weather.

I cannot imagine one of these trannies going 125K miles without repairs in those conditions (call me skeptical), so my assumption would be that on average the tranny is around 125K miles 'old' absent any other information.

That being the case and given the service conditions, I would not even for a moment consider any half-measures in tranny repairs, given that what does not get refurbished is just waiting to fail (but when?), resulting in another expensive repair.

All that boils down to one simple option IMO - replace the tranny, no questions.

I'm guessing that you got a really good price on this '05, so consider it a 'recapitalization' cost. The truck will be worthless without a working tranny, so you're stuck with it unless you fix it.

Just my .02

Good Luck.

i agree, its def not the orignal tranny. its painted red, not sure if ford does that or if the cab shop does that. i also do not know how many miles are on that tranny as the cab co did not provide that to my friend when he got it.

his concern is cost. im wondering if it really is just the valve body as the trans shifts smoothly otherwise. it just wont engage into first gear.

and yea he got it at a good cost, 1500 bucks. sadly his explorer runs smoother and quieter than the 05 i had with only 42k miles on it when i got rid of it.

Back