Transmission Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Questions

Ssgt Pool

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2002 Explorer with the wonderful automatic that at 127000 miles, it decided to stop moving completly. I was wonder if the 5-speed M5OD-R1HD manual will fit and replace it? Has anyone done that swap? How hard? Any answers would be appreciated. I am thinking about this but don't know. I just don't like the idea of paying $1250.00 on something that might go out again. Besides, I like manuals better. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody KNows what it takes to put in a manual transmission???

Not that many folks on this site, sometimes you gotta give it time.

That or try the search function.

But I'll give you a bump.

(note: patience helps here - lots of very knowledgeable folks but not all of them log on daily - it's volunteer work) :thumbsup:

maybe someone will know, but honestly since 2005 or there abouts, no one has posted anything on retro fit to a manual trans on a 3rd gen. I do know they made a limited number of manuals for '02, very very rare for a 3rd gen from what i've read, seen 1 or 2 pics.

Just put a new automatic in my 2002...case cracked by servo...I put in a motocraft driveline replacement because it has the internal upgrades and a 3 year 100000 mile warranty...yes it co$t but worth it if you are keeping the vehicle...

Just put a new automatic in my 2002...case cracked by servo...I put in a motocraft driveline replacement because it has the internal upgrades and a 3 year 100000 mile warranty...yes it co$t but worth it if you are keeping the vehicle...

Your post got my attention.

Case Cracked by servo?????? Meaning crack in the case in the location of the servo, or crack actually caused by the servo (I'm guessing the former)? I'm also guessing detected by leakage, perhaps?

I am very much curious about your new tranny with internal upgrades - are you saying that there is an improved replacement unit? Also, the cost pls, if you will.

If the upgrade is real (rectifies servo bores, solenoid block and valve body weaknesses, etc.) it might well be worth far more than rebuilding an OEM 5R55W.

BTW, to the OP - come to think of it - did they even make a manual tranny 02 Explorer - I have never seen one.

I wish I would have taken a picture before I turned in the core...Truck was running great the day before...then in AM i blew all fluid in my drive and the tranny stopped working. The servo is held in by a c ring clamp and the top half of the case around the servo cracked off so there was no where to secure the c ring....

I am a Motorcraft Distributor so I buy at cost, but you can expect to pay $2300 to $2500 for the tranny at a Ford driveline dealership...Yes they have improved design, that is why the 03 and 04 show less problems...the guarantee is well worth it!!!..

I paid a local shop $500 to put it in and I provided the tranny...Motocraft comes complete and ready to bolt in..fluid and torque converter included...

Just not sure if I want to dump that into it yet. Has so many miles on it now and I keep hearing that it will go out again if I keep it.

whassup SGT Pool!

Sorry. there hasn't been a lot of responses on the board past several months. But, what you are asking few, if any will know. I SWEAR I heard there was a manual option for your MY, but sport trac, or something like that.

Easiest answer: there are a TON of 5R55S (that's what you have) bellhousings on the net. Get one, and compare it to the trans you reference.

Only issue is that you'll have to have your PCM reflashed to understand it can't shift anymore...

Hang in there, and if you get no answer, but figure it out, let us know (that's what I do).

Hooah?

Shawn

Hey! TMT!

You have a p/n for that improved case?? If it corrects the servo bore issues, AND the solenoid pack AND the valve body all in one, that might be cheaper. Or, does it only sell as a 'transmission, explorer, ford - 1ea'?

Shawn

The problem with the servo bores is the pins are steel and the case is aluminum..over time the hole wears oblong and then the servo sticks in a sideways tilt...

The new Tranny mod is a sleeve pressed in to prevent or slow wear giving a longer life..I have also seen people machine a groove in the rod and install an o-ring..ebay had a listing for the kit...not sure if it is the best...

To id parts in both Motorcraft (red box) and Long number Ford (Blue box) use www.fordparts.com that is the factory site..than go shopping where you like...the case would be a blue box and the solenoid pack would be a red box..I think TM122 Motorcraft??

this might help

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2410914#post2410914[/url]

Back