06 Explorer abs light, traction light, wrench, locking brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer abs light, traction light, wrench, locking brakes

Ted Taylor

Reaction score
City, State
West jefferson, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer eddie bauer
I have an 06 Explorer eddie bauer. I have been dealing with this problem for a couple months now. First it started with a wrench light. Then it progressed into the abs light. After that my brakes started occasionally locking up just when I first started up and started driving with the traction light flashing until the traction light came on solid aND then I was able to drive normal. I replace my front driver hub assembly before this problem occurred. I've been to multiple shops but all of them have said they can't find a problem but all have charged me 40-80 dollars everytime.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to scan it, it will tell you which wheel is locking up or the sensor is messed up. Had it on mine. Unless A1 sells timken, most likely it was some Chinese replacement, and those you just never know like Tech said.
I ordered a hub once from eBay for $ 99, will never do it again. HUB67 from Amazon for $ 170 and I know what I am getting.

You need to scan it, it will tell you which wheel is locking up or the sensor is messed up. Had it on mine. Unless A1 sells timken, most likely it was some Chinese replacement, and those you just never know like Tech said.
I ordered a hub once from eBay for $ 99, will never do it again. HUB67 from Amazon for $ 170 and I know what I am getting.
So the brand I want is timken and is on amazon? Any good video links on replacing it? My buddy put in the last one but he no longer lives near me.

Yes, Timken.

Get Hub67

It's very easy actually. I just did it on mine last weekend, took me about 50 minutes with air tools, probably 1.5 hr with hand tools. I know people struggle when it's the first replacement on the car since the original is glued with something to the knuckle. Lots of banging for that.

You have to realize that Timken is a Chinese company....

Frankly, did not realize that. One of the shop owners here told me once that there are few grades of Chinese parts. I guess the Chinese Timkens go thru stricter QC since they last much longer.

Maybe the tone ring?
+1 on the tone ring. I'm about to replace my rear right axle with a new tone ring due to my second tone ring being broken. Figure I would replace the whole axle and ring rather than all that work for just the ring.

ABS light on and Traction Light on.

Maybe the tone ring?
Tone rings are good. When it first started happening I did some research and that was the only thing I could find as a possible problem. So I stupidly went out and bought one before looking.

Back