'06 Liftgate won't open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'06 Liftgate won't open

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer V8
The liftgate on my 2006 will not open, there is no tension on the handle and the remote does nothing. Ever since I bought this thing 3+ years ago I will get intermittent "LIFTGATE GLASS AJAR" errors while driving, the glass pops open on it's own (not triggered accidentally by the remote) Not sure if the glass opening is related. Any ideas? Going to be putting it for sale soon but want to fix this issue first.

There is no noticeable tension on the handle even when the liftgate is working properly, at least on the 3 I have tried.... Try pushing in on the gate then pulling the handle and trying to open it....

Just tried this with no luck, when I pull the handle it doesn't return back to where it started, it's just loose and kind of floppy

Sounds like the linkage has broken. You'll need to pry the trim panel back from the window area enough to reach down and locate the linkage that opens the door. I had to do that to mine. I replaced the linkage from a JY donor, and all has been good. it won't be easy, but it's doable.

Back