• Register Today It's free!

06 tranny and radiator problems

Thomas Mackin

Reaction score
City, State
Eagle River,Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Still looking at a 06 limited with 98K. I did get the window sticker but in many reviews they listed tranny problems and radiator problems galore. It said the trannys were made in France and did nothing to correct the same problems of the 02-05's This truck was always serviced at a good Ford dealer and has had no problems yet and had a tranny flush at 85K Your comments would be appreciated! radiator? wheel bearings? 4.0 engine? etc.
It has the extra cost Cashmire paint and the whole truck is in top shape. One major reviewer said to avoid like the plague! I do much of my own work and my 02 has been fun to work on and no major problems yet at 133K. The tranny problems is the worst fear for me. Thanks

Still looking at a 06 limited with 98K. I did get the window sticker but in many reviews they listed tranny problems and radiator problems galore. It said the trannys were made in France and did nothing to correct the same problems of the 02-05's This truck was always serviced at a good Ford dealer and has had no problems yet and had a tranny flush at 85K Your comments would be appreciated! radiator? wheel bearings? 4.0 engine? etc.
It has the extra cost Cashmire paint and the whole truck is in top shape. One major reviewer said to avoid like the plague! I do much of my own work and my 02 has been fun to work on and no major problems yet at 133K. The tranny problems is the worst fear for me. Thanks

Sounds like you have the history of the EX pretty good. I would not hesitate to buy one used if I knew the history. I have an 07 with almost 85K on it and will still drive it anywhere in the country. I ran a 96 V6 over 330K before I got rid of it and it was still running strong, I still see it on the road every once in awhile. Wheel bearing fail they are cheap and easy to replace if you have a good set of basic tools.

If it was going to have a tranny or radiator problem it would have happened already. As far as the tranny goes it is a different model of the 5R55 (W and S) in which some of the components of the previous models were changed/improved. You have to remember that many of the reviewers posting on the web are only posting because they have a problem and so you see very little of the reviews in which nothing is wrong with the vehicle.
I have owned my 06 since brand new and the only problems I have had is with the shift interlock button failing (shifter replaced twice) under factory warrantee and having to replace all of my ABS tone rings at some point (possibly my fault on this part due to the conditions that I drive it in during the winter). Oh, and a faulty thermostat.
If it was dealer maintained then it sounds like it was babied and you are looking at a very nice vehicle and the only things you need to do after purchasing is follow the recommended service items at 100K miles.

Back