06 XLT 4x4 NO REVERSE HELP PLEASE!!?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 XLT 4x4 NO REVERSE HELP PLEASE!!??

rick_king

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
I have an 06 Explorer XLT with 111k. During a recent snow storm, I started the truck, let it warm up for about 3-4 minutes, then put it into reverse. There was no movement, as well as no indications such as noise or jumping etc... truck has never had any issues with Transmission or any part of drivetrain.

I brought it to a couple places to be diagnosed, but i am not confident that any of them truly checked it out. I am told that it needs to be rebuilt, reverse servo pin is worn, solenoid maybe stuck, etc... but no one can tell me exactly what is wrong with it.

I have done some research and it could be a few things I suppose.

The reverse band: The reverse band is used for multiple gears, and everything works except reverse. I was told that if all other gears work, its NOT the Reverse Band.

Servo Pin: The reverse servo pin in this tranny is known to wear itself by riding the servo bore? This cannot be diagnosed without actually pulling the servo and inspecting the pin (right?).

Reverse Solenoid: This is also something that cannot be diagnosed without actually taking it out (right?).

Doeas anyone know of any other troubleshooting steps I can take to accurately diagnose this issue??

Thanks

What tranny does it have, the 5r55s or the 6r?

I don't know much about these transmissions, but I have rebuilt a 5r55e before, and the reverse servo was simple to remove and check, all you needed to do was drop the pan and remove the valve body. A socket set was all I needed (and a torque wrench when putting it back together).

Back