• Register Today It's free!

06 XLT V6 Trans Issues

Zieg95x

Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Well my 06 XLT V6 has almost 98k on it and it has been having some intermittent problems with the trans. Some times after it has been ran all day right after the 1-2 shift i get a vibration/shake and this started after getting off the highway one time last week after running it all day. Usually after it is warm i get a gap between the 2-3 shift but that isn't all the time and it depends on rpm and grade and there is no rise in rpm and it does have a thump when it engages. The last is when slowing down the shift back to first comes with a thump only some times and that is usually when I brake late and that is when it is warm. I had the dealer check it out and they said there was some software upgrades and recommended a flush. When the did the diag they checked and it is filled up to the correct level. Any ideals beyond that? Might it be the solenoid pack?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Somtimes giving it a proper flush is all it needs. Mine was acting pretty funky similar to yours, but a flush at the ford dealer fixed that.

They did a flush and ECU flash. Seems to have fixed the problems so far. Time will tell.

Well I guess I need to give it more time but some of the things that were happening are still there. One of the things was that after running it all day or with aggressive driving I would get a flutter/shake/shutter in the 1 - 2 shift but it wouldn't show on the tach. When driving this evening it did the same thing but not in the same situation. It also does all of the other things that I said above but just a little less harsh in some situations and some not. Does anyone think it might be the solenoid pack? or are we looking at something more expensive.

Surprised they actually did a flush. mine had around 150km and had never been flushed before. The dealership discouraged me from doing a flush saying it would cause more damage then good. I just pulled the pan and changed the filter and 5l of Mercon V. Followed that up with a flash and haven't looked back. That was last year when there was still a couple of feet of snow on the ground.

I am a little rougher then most on mine, Use it for a lot of backroad/offroad hunting in the fall and and ice fishing all winter. It also used to get to pull a tent trailer 300km north on a weekly basis during the summer. It gets a good work out.

Yeah I think I am looking at a rebuild or a reman. Shifting when warm has gotten a lot worse. Shake between 1-2, gap between 2-3, thump when slowing down when it is going back into 1st and acts like it is in neutral some times after you slow down and then hit the gas again. Not sure if I should take it back to the dealer or to a trans shop.

Back