07 Ford Explorer Leaking yellow/brownish liquid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 Ford Explorer Leaking yellow/brownish liquid

Abed

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 explorer eddie bauer
Hi
I was cruising down the road when suddenly i felt the mid AC vents started heating (the plastic vents themselves) although the AC wasn't on. Went down to check on the hood and I saw a brown liquid boiling/ evaporating on the engine, However, the heat meter on my dashboard was still normal. Upon trying to move the vehicle, I could smell something inside the cabin (I don't know if it was liquid or oil) but the smell was really noticeable. Also, when accelerating the engine rumbles deeply.
So I parked the car and was too afraid to turn it back on.
The car is a 07 explorer eddie bauer 4L
I will try to attach a video:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a coolant leak most likely from the thermostat housing.

(Edited to fix my horrible spelling)

Its a oolant leak most likely from the thermostat housing.
Is this a major issue or is it relatively easy to fix?
And what do you think is the reason that usually causes these types of failures? Much appreciated!

If it is the thermostat housing, it is pretty easy to fix. They are plastic from the factory and most go bad. I replaced mine with a aluminum one.

If it is the thermostat housing, it is pretty easy to fix. They are plastic from the factory and most go bad. I replaced mine with a aluminum one.
How can I say for sure?
Can It be engine oil?

How can I say for sure?
Can It be engine oil?
When it is cool, touch it or use a paper towel. You should be able to tell the difference oil and antifreeze.

I would take a bright light and look for where the leak is comming from. Oil would not boil like that plus if it is oil you have major problems. The smell when its hot will tell you if its coolant it will be a sweet smell. You may need to have the engine warmed up before you can spot the leak but try cold first and look for any wet spots. You can also check the coolant (when cold) in both the overflow and the radiator they may be low check this first before you start the engine.

I wanna thank all of you for the support, it is really appreciated.
I found that the THERMOSTAT BYPASS HOSE is out of place. How can i make sure that the thermostat housing itself is working? Or will I need to change the housing as well as the hose?

The thermostat housing will leak around where the top and bottom seam is. If its not leaking now then you can probally keep it but there is good chnce that in the future it may leak so its up to you if you want to replace it. If you decide to replace it go with a metal one not a plastic one.

How can i make sure that the thermostat housing itself is working?
The only way to tell is to fix the leaking hose and see if you have anymore leaks.

Back