07 V8 Rear Engine Tick... Solution? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 V8 Rear Engine Tick... Solution?

Black_Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport Trac
So I just bought an 07 V8 Limited ST and Love It. My wife even likes the dual climate control and heated seats.

It has a rear engine tick and I have limited it to the passenger side close to the firewall. I have read multiple threads that all say exhaust leak but none of them give you the steps to solution it.

Proof:
  1. Some guys say the bolts just need to be tightened
  2. some say that you have to get the parts replaced which costs somewhere between $400-$800 depending on who you go to
  3. you have a guy who just double up on the seal because he was swapping the engine and this was just a filler
  4. lastly you have a ford mechanic who is "intimate" with this issue that says to replace the bolts with grade 8 bolts and if it is broken drill it out being careful not to go too deep

MY QUESTION - could someone give me step by step or maybe even pictures of what to do? Worst case scenario is I mess up and have to take it to a mechanic...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Small Crack

I have the tick for the first few seconds the engine is running when it is cold. My mechanic took a look at it and said that there is a small crack in the exhaust manifold. It is only for a few seconds because as soon as the manifold heats up, the metal expands and the crack closes up. He needs to take it off, flip it over and weld the crack shut. It is on the work order to be done the next time I'm in the shop.

Dave

Are you 100 percent sure its the manifold leaking? I only ask because I own a 2000 5.0L and it to has this slight "tick". Mine however(and from what Ive read here, many others)is actually coming from the EGR tube. Which mounts into the pass.side manifold near the fire wall and connects to your EGR. valve. While the engine is COLD start it up w/the hood open n feel around this "tube" w/your hand. You should be able the feel the pressure of the exhaust escaping thru leak againt your hand. You do not need to actualy touch this tube,(as it heats up quickly)only be close enought to feel it. Maybe an ince or so away?

So I don't know about the 5.0 EGR Leak... however I did get a pretty good picture tonight of some build up around one of the first bolts. (see below).

Would the black carbon build up be coming from that gasket leak? Or would it be coming from where the Exhaust mounts up against the engine and that be where it is making the sound/leaking?

Could I not just remove/loosen them and put some liquid gasket on it - or would that not hold up against the temps?

IMAG0313.jpg

So today - I took off the right front wheel and started looking around. In another thread I was told that sometimes the 1st bolt breaks off or is loose. I tried to tightened it and the first budge the whole bolt turned... I knew it was going to break so I broke it off.

As you can tell from the picture below... the exhaust manifold is now missing a bolt :)
IMAG0314.jpg

I have it though
IMAG0315.jpg

I am going to drop it off monday morning at the muffler shop in town... I will return with the damage.

I would not trust the average muffler shop to fix that bolt. That is engine repair in my opinion, not exhaust repair. They'll have to drill out the bolt and retap the hole, along with replacing the manifold gasket, and possibly the manifold if it's one that has warped (like many have).

I agree - I went to a highly recommended shop in town and the guy i'm going to is "the guy" for all exhaust stuff, most shops in town just send it his way. When I was there he called the muffler shop and told him what was going on and the muffler guy knew what was going on and said

"worst case is you need a new exhaust manifold, best case is we tap the bolt and you go on your way".

Monday I will find out either way.

$617.21 ($289.95 for Manifold, $225 Labor, $50 Bold Tap, $52.26 Tax) Later - no tick...

IMAG0331.jpg

Ouch!

for 617 I would have delt with the tick I did in my 01 f150 until I traded it in on the adrenalin. This happens to all ford trucks they always break manifold bolts and you get a small leak that ticks.

Yea I thought about that. But the thing is I bought it not too long ago and am going to be keeping it for a while and didn't think I could handle it...

Back