1 Bandpass and 1 Sealed?? How does it sound? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1 Bandpass and 1 Sealed?? How does it sound?

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Okay currently I have 2 10" subs in a dual sealed box. The bass is really tight and punchy but I want more boom on the bottom end. I was wondering if it would sound better if I had one single bandpass and one single sealed? Any opinions??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Generally, you're not supposed to mix subs or different boxes, only because there's chance that since the bass waves are not uniform because of non-uniform sub applications, the waves may hit each other and cancel each other out or modify the sound. However, I did it before, and another friend of mine did the same thing and both enjoyed it a lot. I didn't experience any major sound holes, but then I was listening to a lot of rap then, so couldn't really know if there were sound holes. It's nice, since you can still get some tight bass, and then get some good bottom end when you really want it. Up to you though. Done once in a very blue moon in competition.

Take it easy, MrSteve...

What if I made it so the sealed sub was not pointing right at the ports of the bandpass. Like if they were both facing the rear hatch. So basicly what you are saying is that it won't sound that great. I do listen to a lot of rap so it might sound good?? I don't think any store would let me try it out before I buy. I don't want to spend over $100 on 2 boxes if it's gonna sound like crap.

I've got 2 12's both in sealed and I'm hittin high 140's low 150's(decibles)...I'm pleased....Pete

Just saying theoretically, it's usually not done, but I have done it and so has a friend, and we never noticed any drawbacks. Problem is once you're used to having both, you start missing it if you take one out! :) But I enjoyed it a lot. But still miss the major kick...

Okay I think I am gonna do it. But I need to decide whether to get a new amp first or 2 new boxes first.

Mmm, I guess if you're having probs with the right side of the amp, you could just put the bandpass to it. The problem won't be heard since the bandpass won't let that hissing frequency out. Up to you. I think a new amp would be my first choice though, just because that's the biggie.

You'll actualy lose sound doing this. I don't if your are fimilar with sound waves, but if the same note isn't travling at the same speed they cancle each other out making it quiter. Plus a band pass box really isn't all that loud in respect to a sealed box, It may hit harder at a certain few notes (35Hz to maybe 55Hz) but at the other notes it will be less loud, Also if you listen to stuff that does't have a lot of punchy bass in it (ie bass drum kicks) its note all that good in a bandpass box. A sealed box is my favorite disign, it actualy sound louder because of the response, but it doesn't give you as much feel like the bandpass box or even ported box. But with only a 150a2 I don't think the feeling woulb be there anyways. I would look into redsigning your stereo as much as possible, ie. new subs and a bigger amp. I would look into Cerwin Vega 12" subs and since you have a rockford amp already a 500a2, That would be a lot louder then what you have already probably twice as loud. (remember that is 10 DB's louder, doubling power is 3 DBs and adding twice the amount of subs is 3 DB's) That is pretty good sence that would only cost you maybe 600 bucks, and you can probably sell your subs and amp for 200 bucks. Anyways good luck

The problem is I don't have the cash to buy new subs and a new amp right now. I could maybe have the money for a new amp in like six weeks but I owe my parents over $700 and I really can't spend much till I pay them off. (Explorer's are expensive to fix, aren't they!) I think I may have to buy two new boxes first. I am thinking of getting a job at Circuit city or Best Buy soon. I am getting tired of my job I have now. That way I could get half off what ever I wanted. Maybe even try out the boxes before I bought them. Thanks for the replies

Back