• Register Today It's free!

12v power outlet problems...

TheNovice

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Well, I screwed something up and I'm hoping someone can help...

My truck has a 12v power outlet on the right side of the center console. Well, I have a little something I wanted to connect to power without having to fill that outlet. So I pulled apart my center console to tap into the wire that powers the 12v outlet. Well, when I snipped it, my truck's lights dimmed and from then on there is no power goin into those wires. I crimped the wires back together and the outlet is dead...

I need this out, I was thinking maybe a blew a fuse or something, but it didn't look like any of my minor fuses were blown... I don't know how to fix it and I'm hoping someone here does. Please reply...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same problem.. i cant seem to find my manuel, but i had to buy a new fuse. if you get a haynes or chilton manuel, it should show u the fuses, and one of them in the middle i believe is for the cigarette lighter. just find that and replace.. hopefully that will solve your problem.

Hmm, ok... that's great, now I know it's a fuse. Now, can anyone tell me which fuse, because I swear none of my fuses looked blown...

PLEASE someone tell me the fuse for the 12v outlet... (maybe same as cig lighter)

My 12v outlet died and I really, really need it... I think its a fuse, but none of my fuses look blown.

number 17 is the cigar lighter. I can't find one specifically for the power outlet.

Is the power outlet something that was added or stock?

If added trace the wire.
If stock, I would believe that it is in the schematic for the vehicle.

Good Luck,

You also have another fuse in the Power Distribution Box under the hood for your power outlet. I have my CB wired in to mine and when I had my Ford dealer replace my console, they managed to blow mine out. It took me a few days before I thought to look under the hood since all the fuses in the interior fuse panel were fine. I can't remember which one it is, but it is listed in your manual. It is one of the small fuses though.

Look at your other post.

I merged the 2 threads, so I appologize if some of the posts look a bit outta place.

Thank you Robert! Yea, actually I already figured it out, Robert is right, it was a fuse under the hood in the power distribution box. I fixed it and am very happy, lol. Thanks guys.

Back