• Register Today It's free!

16-17 Explorer questions

Mack674

Reaction score
City, State
Petawawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Chrysler 300
Hey guys - wanting to place an order for a 2017 or maybe find a 2016 if theres a deal out there but I'm bot sure about two things.

1) The ecoboost turbo engine - what are the gear heads opinion on this? Its smaller and has more torque and HP
But im skeptical and not experienced enough with engines to make an informed decision.

2) Leather seats - good or no? I feel like Ive seen photos on autotrader etc with models as new as 2012 2013 with seats that lookee a little worn and cracked already. Is this normal? Id like the leather seats but when they start to dry out ike that it looks awful.

Thanks, cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our Platinum has the 3.5L EcoBoost engine so I can't help there. For what it's worth, it is an incredible engine. The leather seats require upkeep. If you keep them clean and conditioned they should not dry out.

I suppose it depends on the the leather quality ? Im leaning that way, just apprehensive.

Im pretty much sold on the engine, just wanted to make sure there wasnt some issues with it that I wouldnt discover until its too late.

Hi Mack,

Been looking at 2016's myself for 3 months or so, driven all the trims, engines and looked all over the US for my options. Ended up finding a fantastic deal in Virginia on a limited and shipping to Texas.

In regards to the V6 versus the 4cyl ecoboost, I ended up liking the Ecoboost. (4wd). I actually don't like the ecoboost on the FWD version since you can actually get it to torque steer a bit if you really try.

Since it didn't really cost me the premium I went with the Ecoboot. The V6 drives like it always has. Smooth and "loafy". Although a bit odd a first, the Ecoboost 4cyl works out pretty great. A little more exciting to me, better mileage and more useable the way I drive.

My wife hated all versions of the cloth seats, both for comfort and looks. She loved the leather for comfort. I was ok with both, but the leather were a bit more comfortable than the base cloth for whatever reason. Longevity....well, great question. Who knows. But the cloth isn't magical...one spill and they would be toast. The leather smelled better...if that counts for anything!

With regards to the leather I believe that it is leather/leather match meaning only the parts you touch are leather(never understood that completely).
In any case, I have the ebony leather on an XLT and it does look acceptable. Does it feel like top grain leather, it definitely does not. My Honda EX-L definitely has a better leather quality purely on touch and feel than the Explorer.
Perhaps higher end models have a different grain of leather.

Thanks guys - I will be getting a 4WD train regardless, was just wary of the ecoboost lol Id like to test drive one but its virtually barren of Explorers in this part of Canada right now. Im not travelling 3-5 hours just for a test drive haha.

Im leaning towards the leather, I have 2 children under 2 so...

Still paranoid itll harden and crack and look like garbage after a few years.

Im pretty meticulous about keeping my things clean and in good order so hopefully it wont be too much of a chore.

Leather requires care on pretty much any car. your luxo brands when they are taken in for MX are often treated by the dealer before haning back to the owner - it's part of that up charge.

If I could help it on a Daily driver I would never have cloth seats again.

The Ecoboost 2.3 4 mill - it's a good little engine and I almost choose it for our explorer - but decided against. If you do lots of city driving it might work out OK on MPG vs cost additive. But it does have a bit of a spool up need. That said - if you do highway driving you wouldn't notice it. and the MPG difference probably more worth it.

we do a mostly city mix - and I felt I needed the better low end off take that the 3.5 TiVCT motor provides - and MPG wise it wasn't going to help me much. So I passed on it. There's a fine line - I see nothing wrong with the engine though.

Hi Mack,

Been looking at 2016's myself for 3 months or so, driven all the trims, engines and looked all over the US for my options. Ended up finding a fantastic deal in Virginia on a limited and shipping to Texas.

In regards to the V6 versus the 4cyl ecoboost, I ended up liking the Ecoboost. (4wd). I actually don't like the ecoboost on the FWD version since you can actually get it to torque steer a bit if you really try.

Since it didn't really cost me the premium I went with the Ecoboot. The V6 drives like it always has. Smooth and "loafy". Although a bit odd a first, the Ecoboost 4cyl works out pretty great. A little more exciting to me, better mileage and more useable the way I drive.

My wife hated all versions

Edit....mistake

Napalm, spool up? What do you mean? I was under the impression the ecoboost turbo option is a more powerful (albeit smaller) engine with more HP and a good amount more torque - shouldn't it get up and go a little quicker than the v6 ?

PS: without going on a rant about gun control, great quote hahaha

Napalm, spool up? What do you mean? I was under the impression the ecoboost turbo option is a more powerful (albeit smaller) engine with more HP and a good amount more torque - shouldn't it get up and go a little quicker than the v6 ?

PS: without going on a rant about gun control, great quote hahaha

I'm sure he's referring to turbo spool up(or turbo lag).

I have a Sport w/ 3.5TT and there's a touch of lag when going from off throttle to 1/2 throttle(or more), but under normal driving I barely notice it at all.

I'm sure he's referring to turbo spool up(or turbo lag).

I have a Sport w/ 3.5TT and there's a touch of lag when going from off throttle to 1/2 throttle(or more), but under normal driving I barely notice it at all.

Oh okay Im following what you mean now.

Doesn't seem like it would be much of an issue - I don't have a habit of needing to floor it out of red lights too often lol I do live outside of a city though and if its consistently happening everytime I'm stopped that could get annoying.

Hi Mack,

My wife hated all versions of the cloth seats, both for comfort and looks. She loved the leather for comfort. I was ok with both, but the leather were a bit more comfortable than the base cloth for whatever reason. Longevity....well, great question. Who knows. But the cloth isn't magical...one spill and they would be toast. The leather smelled better...if that counts for anything!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Glad you found what you were looking for. Please add the trim level (Limited) to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Back