1988 Ford Ranger 4x4 2.3L Turbo Diesel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1988 Ford Ranger 4x4 2.3L Turbo Diesel

Ebrown

Reaction score
City, State
Saginaw Michigan
Hello everyone I'm new to Ford trucks. Here the thing a 1988 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 2.3L turbo diesel just about fell in my lap for a hole $500.00. The body is kindof rusting away. I'm going to pick it up this weekend Sight unseen but I don't know nothing about Ford Ranger's and what to look for beside the above condition. I know a bit about Diesel as I have a Chevy K-5 with a 6.2N/A all built up.

So here are the question

What axles / gearing did they come with
What trans and t-case
What body part are inter-changable

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to Explorer Forum! Great find.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
What trans and t-case

Axles should be a Dana 28 in front, and a Ford 7.5 in back. Gearing could be 3.45, 3.73, or 4.10. Look for a code on the doorjamb.
Mitsubishi 5-speed, or A4LD auto. Look here: Dead Link Removed
Ranger front clips were redesigned in 89, so any earlier years will match.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Man they actually made diesels that late? i always thought it just in the early to mid eighties that they did that

Diesel ranger questions

Hello everyone I'm new to Ford trucks. Here the thing a 1988 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 2.3L turbo diesel just about fell in my lap for a hole $500.00. The body is kindof rusting away. I'm going to pick it up this weekend Sight unseen but I don't know nothing about Ford Ranger's and what to look for beside the above condition. I know a bit about Diesel as I have a Chevy K-5 with a 6.2N/A all built up.

So here are the question

What trans and t-case

Take the VIN to the dealership,(or possibly search this site for tips on decoding the VIN),and it will tell you what it came with.
Same on the tranny and x-fer case.
Majority of body parts are interchangeable 85-88 I believe.

Good luck finding engine parts,(see my posts).

Send me the water pump pulley,and we will call it good!:D

post pics

So here are the question

What trans and t-case
please post some pics from under the hood of that thing. I would love to have a diesel explorer.

My dad has a 90 ford ranger 2.3 gas pick-up and would like to swap out that engine for a ford ranger turbo diesel engine. Any interest in selling the diesel motor you have? He also has a 1982 diesel datsun pickup that he would trade.
Thanks

Yes I did get the get the 2.3! It need some work I put dual optima batterys, K&N filter, alittle turbo work, New starter, Flushed the fuel tank and line, New glow plugs and Injectors, Turn Fuel Rate at the IP, Electrial lift pump, Straight pipe exhaust 2 1/4. 2 new inner and outter fenders and hood. Auto meter Boost gauge and exhaust temp gauge. It ran like a rape ape and sounder great. I Sold it for $4500.00 ot a guy in TC Michigan

Back