1996 Ranger 4x4 2.3L want to put in 4.0 v6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ranger 4x4 2.3L want to put in 4.0 v6

ReDLiNeZL

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4DR
where do i begin and what do i need?
how hard is this swap?

my ranger is currently a 4 cylinder 2.3L with 5spd and i want to put in a v6 4.0 and stay with the 5spd (im not an automatic guy)

i run in a mudbog class that is 4 & 6 cylinder only and i was doing good this year but now its time for a v6 to step up my game.

also can i still use my trans from the 4banger or must i use v6 trans. all help is appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can use the four banger trans, however, its not going to last very long. I think my 4 banger trans lasted about 3 months of light use daily driving.

As for stuffing the 4.0L in, I'm don't think Ford got smarter by '96 so the engine cross member is different. They used 4 different x-members in the Ranger, a 4 cyl 2wd, 4 cyl 4wd, V6 2wd & V6 4wd. You will have to drill new motor mount holes into your existing x-member. Its very doable if you take you time measuring everything up.

i mean as far as wiring, is it a pain? never done swap like this before? the 4cyl 4x4 trans from 2.3 will bolt up to a 4.0??

I don't remember it the bell housings are the same, its been too long ago that I did this swap.
The wiring will be alot easier if you use an engine from the same year. It may just be easier to swap other the whole wiring harness from the donor to yours. Makes it much quicker.

so is it just the engine bay harness or what? do i need to get into the interior harness?

Back