1991 CD Player Installation how to | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 CD Player Installation how to

Walkaway0911

Reaction score
City, State
Statesville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 4x4
This is my how-to on installing an aftermarket CD Player into a 1991 XLT 4x4 Explorer. Sorry I didn't take pictures - it was so much of a pain in the ass that pictures was just out of the picture. :D

This isn't the greatest write up; But I hope that it helps someone.

Tools needed:
Ford Explorer aftermarket kit (So your CD Player will sit in the DIN correctly)
Wire strippers
Star nut tool (To unscrew bolts in the cigarette compartment)
Coat Hanger
Dremel (You can substitute a power drill if you want to go cheap it really doesn't make a hill of beans because you wont see this area anways unless you really screw it up.)
Screw driver

Step 1: Open the cigarette compartment and you will see two STAR NUT screws on each side; Back each screw out.

Step 2: Pull off the panel (It will not come all the ways off until you unplug your 4WD wires; TIP: The panel will fill like it doesn't want to come off at first but it will. The panel goes all the way over to the bottom left side of your steering wheel. I couldn't believe that only two screws needed to be taken off for so much panel to be removed.

Step 3:Insert Coat Hangers (Make them into squares that fit into your DIN or DIN tool into the old tape decks (4 small holes) and remove the old tape deck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmjcmWlLxek&feature=related I hope this video help you understand how to use the coat hangers and pull inwards towards the tape deck to remove it.

Step 4: Unplug the wires off the back of the tape deck

Step 5: Assuming you bought the Ford explorer kit; You will break off all the pieces on the mount and be left with just the SQUARE (I think this is pretty retarded but it is what it is)

Step 6: Slide the Square over the CD player

Step 7: Wire up your harness to the CD player; This is a really simple thing that can be easily complicated. YES you will have wires that mean nothing and have no match just tape the ends of them and be done with it.

Step 8: I used a Dremel to score the sides of the explorer panel so the CD Player can fit into it; Then you take the clips on the side of the CD player and pull them out (Using a screwdriver) so the CD player is now stuck into the panel nice and sound.

Step 9: Align everything up and plug in all your wires; Your CD Player should fit right in you may have to wiggle it a little (Thats what she said :D)

Step 10: Test everything out before you snap your panels back on to make sure all wiring is correct

Step 11: Snap the panels back in and make sure your CD players is all the ways in; You should not be able to pull it out or in; It should be very sound and stable.

Step 12: Let everyone in your neighborhood know you have everything working by blasting your music!!! :salute:

Back