• Register Today It's free!

1991 Transmission Shift Problem

DsrtExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Ridgecrest, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
My 1991 Explorer has been sitting in the garage a lot the last couple of years, but I started driving it regularly about a month ago. The trans has 35000 on a professional rebuild. 5000 miles, but 2 1/2 years ago I had the trans serviced at the local Ford dealer, I had them change the filter then do a 100% fluid exchange and adjust the bands.

All seemed fine after that, but I more or less parked it shortly after that. When I started driving it again, I noticed when its cold and I back out of the garage it lags when I shift into drive.

If I go directly to drive its OK, or if I go into drive then into reverse and back out into the street, it shifts quickly into drive from reverse.

The fluid is nice and pink and at the correct level, and it shifts fine all other times, this just happens during the initial cold startup. Since all other shifts seem to be smooth and crisp, I really don't think its the pump or something mechanical, but something in the control of the tranny.

My Haynes manual has very little info on the transmission, but I did notice some shift solenoids mentioned. I am wondering if these are to control the automatic shift from one gear to the next (I think that's controlled by the modulator) or if they could have something to do with the problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Back