1992 ford explorer transmission leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 ford explorer transmission leak

firsttime

Reaction score
City, State
astoria oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
I recently bought a 1993 ford explorer hoping for a quick fix' 1500 dollars in parts and a fully rebuilt engine later, i took it out to set the rings in today. It went sort of ok. Started out wouldnt shift, it was low on tranny fluid so i added some and it worked fine. So i start setting the ring in and notice my temp keeps getting high and then drops off drasitcly. I pull over to see steam comming out of my hood. So i drive back to the shop i work at (im a diesel mechanic) to take a look at whats happinging, i see my radiator is leaking like a civve. The i crawl under my rig to notice transmission fluid sprayed all over my underside. Comming out where the trans and engine join. I have heard that a hot engine or malfunctioning radiator can cause the front transmission seal to leak. Would replacing the radiator fix this or is the seal toast? I replaced the seal when rebuilding the engine. I dont have the time or funds to send the bell housing off to do the seal that way. But i do have a shop to utilize. Please help. I bought this rig to drive to work:(

I'd start with the radiator and go from there.

I had something of the same thing happen to me while mudding I had mine over heat and dump all my tranny fluid so I left it till next weekend filled it up with fluid works fine and does not leak and has not done anything like yet

Well, it confirmed, seal is bad. New radiator went in today. It still did the temperture thing, falling off and all, just not as bad, drove 16 miles befor it started dumping fluid. Time to pull and replace. Any tips?

Back