1992 ranger not going into overdrive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 ranger not going into overdrive

nozzleman0358

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT 4x4
I just picked up a 1992 ranger x-cab 2wd with the 3.0 and a auto tranny. I was driving it home yesterday and noticed that the rpm's were kinda high at highway speeds, so i shifted it down to "D" from over drive and there was no change in engine speed and no downshifting feeling that you would normally get from taking it out of overdrive. so im guessing its just not going into overdrive. Also the speedometer and odometer dont work, dont know if that would have anything to do with it or not. Ive had many rangers and i also had a 89 bronco 2 with an auto tranny and it did something similar to this but it blew a head gasket on the way to get the tranny looked at haha so needless to say i just sold it after that and never figured out the tranny problem. any help is apreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up a 1992 ranger x-cab 2wd with the 3.0 and a auto tranny. I was driving it home yesterday and noticed that the rpm's were kinda high at highway speeds, so i shifted it down to "D" from over drive and there was no change in engine speed and no downshifting feeling that you would normally get from taking it out of overdrive. so im guessing its just not going into overdrive. Also the speedometer and odometer dont work, dont know if that would have anything to do with it or not. Ive had many rangers and i also had a 89 bronco 2 with an auto tranny and it did something similar to this but it blew a head gasket on the way to get the tranny looked at haha so needless to say i just sold it after that and never figured out the tranny problem. any help is apreciated

i'm not sure, but you might want to check the ranger site

rangerpowersports.com

check there and you should get some good information. good luck with it

Also the speedometer and odometer dont work, dont know if that would have anything to do with it or not.
Certainly could. 3-4 shift (and torque converter lockup clutch for that matter) is computer controlled. Arguably the most important input in the computer's decision to shift into overdrive is vehicle speed. Your speedo/odo are cable driven, but the cable attaches to the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) at the transmission, which is the sensor that tells the computer vehicle speed. If there's a problem with the speedo/odo, there's a good chance there's a problem with the VSS.

i'm not sure, but you might want to check the ranger site

rangerpowersports.com

check there and you should get some good information. good luck with it

...This site too, has good ranger information...;)

I concur with Shorty and Brooklyn; no speedo = no overdrive.

vss is a likely culprit, may just be unplugged. crawl under that thing from the driver's side and check for loose wiring. unplug and replug the vss wiring; may just not be plugged in all the way.
.jjf

i was thinking that it might have something to do with the sensor just from reading thru other posts on here. also thanks for the sites, i joined ranger-forums.com a while ago with my last ranger and i posted this problem on there a week ago and no one has answered so i figured id post it on here (i have a 06 explorer also). And just as i thought, within 24 hours i got help, love this site. Im goin to work on the ranger and my mustang tommorow so ill check the vss and replace if i need to. it needs alot of little stupid things replaced to (bumper, ash tray, center arm rest, ect.) anyone know any good sites to get that stuff cheap? Ill update on if the vss was the problem, again thanks for the input !!

Also i dont think it has abs. I know my last 92 ranger didnt. ive only had it for a week so havent had a chance to really look at it.

First thing yesterday i started the all day task on getting my ranger up to par. the first thing i did was check the vss, it was installed properly. so i went to remove it to check it out more and when i got it off it was actually broken in two peices. went to autozone and got a new speed sensor ($19). I replaced the vss and took it for a test run and prayed. i noticed the speedo was working, the the odometer then i got it up to speed and felt overdrive. all three work fine now. thanks alot for everyones input.

hello. i did a search on the forums and came across this thread. i thought i would go ahead and ask my question here rather than start a new thread.

i own a '94 explorer 4.0 auto tranny w/ abs. a few months ago i was driving on the highway and noticed that my rpms were high and figured my overdrive was not working. since then, i had a friend flush my tranny... since it was more than past due. it did not fix it. my spedo works, but is a bit testy as it bounces around quite often when i hit bumps and whatnot as i drive at higher speeds. not sure if this is the speed sensor problem as stated above. i hope i do not have to crack open my tranny because this gem has almost 200k miles on it and leaks no oil or tranny fluid and runs like a top otherwise. any help and suggestions would be great. thanks!

edit:
it does 'shift' into od, but it will not lock into od while in od. does that make sense?

ok so the speedo and od work now however now when im at highway speeds (60mph) and slow down and turn onto a side road (15mph) the tranny wont downshift. i have to manualy drop the shifter from drive to 2nd to get it to come down thru the gears then put it back up in drive. im starting to see why the A4LD has a bad rep now. anyone know what might be going on with my trans ? also i replaced the modulator valve on the trans like a month ago so i know its not that.

Back