• Register Today It's free!

1993 explorer dying problem

vhillers

Reaction score
City, State
Alvin Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Hey guys, long time lurker, second time poster. Well I have a 1993 Explorer with the 4.0 motor in it. A few months back it started having problems with surging and then dying while going down the road. So I read the message boards and since my sending unit for the fuel gauge went out, I decided to replace the fuel pump. When we got it back together Saturday it ran like a new explorer, no surging, dying and me no cussing. Well we drove it about 200 miles with no problems and I got in it this morning and the problem started all over again. I went and replaced the fuel filter and fuel regulator. So i went for a drive again and it drove great, but when i got back in it to come home it did its thing again. I then went and replaced the air temp sensor, MAF, and new plugs and wires When I hold the gas pedal to the floor it doesnt immediatly die, it bogs way down, like sucking more air than anything, then dies. I'm stumped.. Last things that i could replace would be the TPS and o2 sensors. When i come to a red light it idles funny like it wants to die but doesnt. And when i give it gas when it want to die it make this real bad knocking sound. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you clean your IAC? It might be a good idea to replace your coolant temperature sensor if this problem only happens at certain temperatures. Try the IAC first since it sounds like your problem.

When i drove it the other night, i drove for about 2 hours straight with no problems, got in it the next morning and not even 2 min it acted up. And when it does act up it does it at 65-70 mph and sometimes at 20 mph.

Vhillers, that certainly sounds like the problem's fuel related, but since you've already replaced everything.......?

Does it show any codes at all?

Only other things I can think of is maybe an ICM (Ignition Control Module)going bad, or possibly a bad CPS (Crank Position Sensor). Both of these should trigger a code, however.

When it acts up, do you have a check engine light on the dashboard, or does it disappear? Your PCM relay, or fuel pump relay could be starting to go. These parts won't show a code. If the PCM loses power from a faulty relay, it will appear code free when it is scanned, since it lost power.

It comes on for maybe 2 min before it acts up then goes off.

Well its been a few weeks and i changed the o2 sensors. I started it back up and ran crappy. A friend of mine was over and told me that the Cats were probably clogged, so I ended up cutting the muffler off and just running the 2 cats. It ran really good but started acting up again, not as bad but still messing up. I threw a code reader on it again and it told me that the MAF was/is grounded. i unplugged the maf and there wasnt a change in idle, but it doesnt want to die now. The Maf is new, so i took it back to Auto Zone for a swap out. But still doesnt change idle when unplugged....

Back