• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Explorer error codes

Bertolo1988

Reaction score
City, State
Gresham Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Alright I'm going to start off by telling you guys about how the explorer broke down then tell you the error codes that I pulled off the truck after I had it towed.

So my fiance is the owner of the 93 explorer. She drove from Portland, OR to JBLM(ft lewis) to pick me up and drive back to Portland. Well the truck made it there just fine, made it almost all the way back, approximately 30 miles left before we got home. Out of nowhere the trucks CEL and battery light flash on and off and the truck sputters and dies on the freeway, so we coast to a stop on the side of the road. After we completely lost combustion(everything electrical was still working) the CEL and Battery light would just stay on. We tried to start it again and all it would do is turn over. Sometimes we could get it to sputter and it wouldn't be able to idle correctly. About 20 minutes of letting it sit I tried to start it again and it fires up and idles fine so we continue driving. We made it about 4-5 miles before it died again. This time we were stuck for a few hours. We finally get it towed back home and the next morning I go out to look at it and it starts right up just fine.

I went to a auto parts store and bought a code reader.

these are the codes I got from it doing KOEO

the first code was 111(which the book says it tested the system OK)
the second code was 10 - which says the #1 cylinder is bad
third code was 211 - which is the MAF sensor, low voltage
fourth code was 157 I can't remember exactly which on that was.
the last code was 542...

Just wondering if anybody has any kind of thoughts on the situation because these codes are basically telling me I'm about to spend a lot of money replacing the ICM,CKP,CMP,MAF,Spark plugs and wires, and the fuel pump secondary circuit.

Any helpful tips or hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

/edit it is a 4x4 automatic v6 btw. manufacture date 02/93

First thing I might do is refer you to my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" thread to better understand the different types of codes.

The first 111 is the KOEO code. As noted it indicates no faults found during the KOEO test.
The 10 - cylinder 1 fails cylinder balance test would refer to the cylinder balance performed after the KOER test. In this context, the 10 is how some code readers show the separator pulse that separates KOEO and CM codes
For CM codes, we have 2 MAF codes (211 and 157) and one fuel pump circuit code (542). I think if this were me, my first suspicion would be some fault in the fuel pump circuit that is causing an open in the fuel pump circuit when hot. Because it only occurs when hot, you will have to wait until it fails again to really test it. I might replace the relay and familiarize yourself with the fuel pump circuit. With luck, the relay is going bad (and failing open when hot), so replacing the relay may fix it. By familiarizing yourself with the fuel pump circuit, if the relay is not the problem you will be in a better position to go through the circuit with your voltmeter the next time it fails to see where the fuel pump circuit is failing open.

Back