1993 Ranger Auto shifter cable replace procedure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ranger Auto shifter cable replace procedure

sunrse777

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT Supercab 4X4
Anyone know if this is written up anywhere? I believe it broke at the steering column end. Under truck is still intact. What do I hjave to do to replace this cable ? 1993 Ranger 4.0 liter, Automatic, 4wd...... Thanks...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Attached are shots from the Ford service CD on removal and adjustment.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 13 15.31.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 13 15.31.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,284
  • ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 13 15.31.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 13 15.31.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,380

Not sure if you'll need this or not, it was in the steering column section.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 13 15.34.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 13 15.34.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,249
  • ScreenHunter_04 Jul. 13 15.34.gif
    ScreenHunter_04 Jul. 13 15.34.gif
    9 KB · Views: 2,418
  • ScreenHunter_05 Jul. 13 15.34.gif
    ScreenHunter_05 Jul. 13 15.34.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,270
  • ScreenHunter_06 Jul. 13 15.34.jpg
    ScreenHunter_06 Jul. 13 15.34.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,276

Arco777- Have you ever done this cable replacement ? Does the steering column have to come down to get to it ?? Thanks...

Just for clarity, there is no cable, per se. The column shifter moves a lever at the base of the column in the engine compartment. The lever is only an inch or so long, and has a ball joint on it. A rod with socket ends goes from this lever to the transmission.

The ball joint at the column is a known weakness. Look in the engine compartment at the base of the column. You will see what I mean. Unfortunately, the ball end tends to break off due to force and corrosion.

The maintenance schedule suggests lubing this ball joint every... 6,000 miles, I think. It never happens, which is a shame. It only takes a minute and a shot of moly lube from a pressurized can.

I have wondered a few times how one would repair this.

Please... anyone else reading this... shoot some lube at this ball joint when you do an oil change.

Roadrunner 777- You nailed it !! Thanks. The end of the cable assembly in the engine compartment had popped off the ball connection on the shift lever.
I pushed it back on with a pair of channel locks... and so far so good....
Can shift in and out of gear..... It's pretty rusty down there, so I agree with everyone lubing that area and the other end of the cable by the transmission...:)

Ball rusted

I had the same problem with a 94 explorer. Bought a new cable and it popped off at the column end immediately. close inspection revealed that the ball stud was rusted to a point where it was smaller and wouldn't stay in the end of the cable. I plan to buy another ball stud and bolt or weld it to the bracket.

Just need to figure out the size.

Anybody happen to know the size?

Back