1993 ranger sport 4x4 2.3L engine code help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 ranger sport 4x4 2.3L engine code help

wp23n

Reaction score
City, State
Central,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ranger Sport 4x4 2.3L
i have a 93 ranger sport 4x4 with 2.3L and 5speed
been having issues with starting off and on for quite some time
some times it would start and wouldn't stay running other times it
would start and run fine..

then about a month or so ago it wouldn't start at all.. finally got
around to checking things over last week and found that if i disconnected
the battery, held key in start position for 30 seconds and reconnected
the battery it would start and run fine, sit for a day and wouldn't start again until i disconnected the battery and went through the process again.. worked 3 different times, all of my internet searches pointed towards replacing the ECU..

did that today and took the truck for a drive to get it nice and warmed up and reset the computer... with that i now have a check engine light---- KOEO pass 111 which is good and KOER with code 172 and 411 and an erratic low idle along with it....

i will have to let it set a day to be sure that it was the ECU for the no start problem but in the meantime any help on the 172 and 411 would be appreciated..

...The 172 code is pointing to your right side or rear 02 sensor and the 411 code says your idle is high...

..For the first code check and clean the sensor as well as making sure the wires to it are not damaged...

...For the latter code it sounds like you need to clean the IAC which could be the reason behind the initial hard start..:dunno:

Back