1994 Explorer. Cranks but won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer. Cranks but won't start.

neximile

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Mile and I am new to this forum. This looks like a great forum! I belong to a Subaru forum and have been able to save Hundreds of dollars on fixing my wifes car thru advice from the forum!
Here is my problem. ...... I have a 1994 explorer xlt 4x4 with 4.0 engine. No big problems since I got it 3 years ago. Replaced fuel pump once.
It rained heavily one day and I had just lost my gas cap, hadn' t put the new one on yet. Got in to drive and car started, ran for 20 secs. rumbled, and than shut down. All it does now is crank. It won't start.
Tried removing the fuel filter and emtying some gas out. No good. Looks like good spark at plugs and fuel is pumping but no start. I tried to pull codes using jumper and reading the check engine light when I noticed that the check engine light is not working. It does not light atr all when I turn the engine on. Is there a way to test this and does this have anything to do with it?
I have put in dry gas and filled to half a tank . My freinds don't seem to think its water in the gas. How can I tell?
Anyway, any advice and troubleshooting tips that anyone might have will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 91-94 section. The PCM is probably not getting any power since there is no check engine light. Check the PCM fuse, relay, and wiring near the battery.

Back