• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer Engine Trouble

VA7LFD

Reaction score
City, State
Langley
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited Edition Expl
Hi there I am having problems with my 1994 Ford Explorer Limited Edition. Was running perfectly until yesterday. Engine light comes on and I did a check and get these codes 998 and 157. I did clean the MAF sensor but still the same issue. Ive uploaded a video of the engine light just in case I read it wrong.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq0V4NuFK70

Please help.... No money for new car and this forum helped me before....Thanks to everyone....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

998 is a hard fault so I'd start looking for obvious wiring issues around the MAF circuit.

998 can sometimes also mean that the computer is on the way out, but look around and start checking things before you start throwing parts at it.

Thanks.... I stumbled across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz9uzl3iUvY and I am not getting the same voltages on my sensor at all.... I think I might of found the problem......I did exactly what this guy did in the video. Getting 0 volts at idle and at 4000 rpm on the C and D terminals.

I am so happy! I fixed the problem. Went to scrapyard and picked up a sensor with it's housing installed it and error codes disappeared and motor runs much better. All for $70 Canadian. It beats the price of $200 I was quoted from Lordco up here in B.C. Thanks for the help Masterd. The 998 code also disappeared...... Now just waiting for next problem knock knock........

Must be MAF time - I just replaced mine today (253,000+ miles). Engine gave CEL & was a bit jumpy on the way home (but it got us there), and threw 157 & 158 on the tester. Good timing, we're taking a short trip next week and it would be rather difficult to replace at the other end!

I ended up doing that with mine. Keep that new MAF clean! Spray it with MAF cleaner as per the instructions on the can about every six months. Keeps them happy. :)

Good deal!!!

It's a routine thing for me on oil change day, cleaning MAF! I'm switching to a dry filter element soon. Getting tired of K&N filters and the dirty MAF it causes.

Back