• Register Today It's free!

1994 radiator hose??

sburcham

Reaction score
City, State
Walnut Cove NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4
Hi all, I just purchased a 1994 Explorer. LOVE it so far, except that last night my husband was driving home, and it started over heating, the heat stoped working and a hose busted. Could anyone help?? I just need to know what hose it is and how to remove it.... I'm not a very savy mechanic, but my husband could catch on if some one tells him how to fix it. Thanks so much!! Here's a pic. Thanks!

101_1724.jpg

car.jpg

If the photo is accurate, it is the heater core hose. It runs from the engine block to the heater core bypass valve.
The heater core valve is a black plastic contraption with four hoses attached to it.
Two go to the firewall, and eventually to the heater core underneath the glovebox. The third hose is the broken hose,
and the fourth hose runs to the bottom of the engine to recycle the coolant.

The hose is simply clamped on each end. If it is the original equipment hose clamp you use a pair of pliers to remove the clamps.
Pull to remove. Be really careful when removing the end attached to the plastic heater core valve.
These valves rot out with age and you'll likely break the plastic if you're not careful.

The local auto parts store should have generic 5/8" (inside diameter) heater hose on a reel.
You tell them how long you want and they cut it to length. About $1/foot.
If you didn't mangle the hose clamps you can reuse them, otherwise buy a couple of new hose clamps
for another $1.

If you break the heater core bypass valve, they're about $20. Everything is really easy to replace.

^^^^X2^^^^

On my '94 EX, I had a upper radiator hose blow, replaced it. With in a week, the lower hose blew, replaced it. A couple days later, a heater core hose blew, replaced it. When replacing the heater core hose, i broke the valve hook up on the firewall, replaced it.

I thought something was very wrong with my water pump or radiator. Turns out the thermostat was bad, and the back pressure was just too much for the old stock hoses.

If any of your hoses feel squishy, or just soft, go ahead and replace them. Pay attention around the clamp and elbow area's.

Back