1995 Explorer bad alternator

Vininfinite

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
300qm0z.jpg

Well after a quick check at the shop I know for sure my alternators bad. I would like to get a higher amp alternator for future projects, but I don't NEED to spend the money atm. In fact standard alternators are a bit much, but I have to get it replaced. I may just go too the junkyard and get a used one. I've searched the forums for more info, but I still need some opinions.

The stock alternator in my 1995 explorer I believe is a 130 amp. Correct?

I'm very familiar with the different levels of product qualities and the tactics they uses when trying to sell them. This 250 amp alternator I found on eBay is significantly lower in price for it's amp, but it's not the cheapest I've seen. Reviewers online mostly rate it as great. I've heard of a of some reporting multiples as doa. I know cheap company's like to stretch their numbers. How alternators are built does not differ to widely I assume. I've read that (given the same size housing as the stock alternator) the max amp you can get is around 250. Talking to a previous eBay buyer I've been told the alternator I linked too above is slightly larger (fits fine) and doesn't show a drop on his volt gauge even with a 65watt HHO running, AC, and everything else on. He shows about 120amp at idle and recommends it.

I don't want to waste money on a junkyard alternator that may be bad to begin with. I also don't want to shell out $280+ for a high end one. Im not doing any significant mods atm, but I don't want to buy a second for when I do need more amps. My thought is while I'm replacing it I wanna at least get a larger load capacity.

Opinions please?

Savs bucks. Rebuild the one you have for now. Parts available at parts houses. Think NAPA or Car Quest

I just replaced mine @ 231k, $130 for a bumper to bumper auto parts lifetime warranty reman. My radio started getting scratchy I looked at the volt gauge and it was almost to L, turned off the MAX A/C and my daytime running lamps, went right home and changed the alt.
I think 130 amps is plenty for 95% of the automotive users. I only use OHIO GENERATOR for hi amp alts.

Back