• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer sport, Rear sags

brandonduarte92

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer Sport
I just bought a 1995 explorer sport and the rear end sags a little. Any ideas on what it could be, like maybe shocks or leafs? Also, how many leafs are there suppose to be in the back.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is your leaf springs. The older sports like yours only have one per side. I used to have that but when I lifted I swapped in the multi leaf pack from the 4 door explorer. The ride quality is much better with the multi leaf packs.

How hard is it to convert it to the multipak leafs, and could i put maybe an extra leaf in to give it a little bit of a lift

It's an easy swap - direct replacement - you might want to get a 4 door leaf packs from the junk yard and just simply add one extra leaf per side - you can buy those on-line but make sure you go with a full length leafs instead of the short ones. After the installation you will notice a difference in stiffness but then again...

to even things out front to back you might also want to crank the front torsion bars a bit - run a search on TTB

What dre said. I think I went with the short AAL in my new leaf packs as it was only 35 bucks.

Thanks guys, I work at O'reilly so i think i'll go get the multi leafs from the junkyard and the ad a leafs from work. How much higher do you think it would sit versus where it is stock.

Thanks guys, I work at O'reilly so i think i'll go get the multi leafs from the junkyard and the ad a leafs from work. How much higher do you think it would sit versus where it is stock.

Depends on the AAL and the condition of the leaf packs... you should be able to get anywhere between 1.5 to 2" extra

With my 4 door packs, AAL and shackles it got me 3.5" over the sagging mono leaves to start, but after the leaves broke in after a week or. I'd say I got around 2" over the original stock height, but thats with lift shackles too. If you need to tweak the front up a bit to match its easy (just get it aligned after that)

If you do go this route and pull your own packs from the junkyard be sure to put the drivers side on the passenger side, and vise versa. The drivers side wears down because of the weight of the gas tank.

Back