1995 Ford explorer quit while driving wont turn over now | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Ford explorer quit while driving wont turn over now

shelby5041

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer
hi

i have a 1995 ford explorer....i drive the vehcile every day....no issues

today i drove it to work ....after about 8 miles of driving expressway and came to a stop sign and the engine just shut off.....i tried starting it back up and it wouldnt even turn over.....at all ...nothing....no click sound

radio and everything works...

i opened the hood and there was an oil burning smell and oil like burning smoke coming from the oil fill tube general area

any ideas?

the vehicle will not turn over now...no click..nothing...turn the key and nothing happens at all.......

i need help please....vehicle has never done this before and to my knowledge has not leaked oil.....just had an oil change done on it about 2 weeks ago....and no oil leaks evidence on driveway at all....

thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i am going to go look at the car before i get it towed....is there anything i should be checking just for the heck of it?

im going to make sure oil is full and make sure battery connections are tight

Got gas?

Hopefully just the starter not turning, because of an electrical issue. However, the burning smell, smoke, and the fact that it quit on you suddenly point to something more serious, like a seized engine - perhaps because of oil pump failure or debris clogging the pickup screen. Put a wrench on the pulley and see if you can turn it at all by hand. Best of luck!

....after about 8 miles of driving expressway and came to a stop sign and the engine just shut off.....i tried starting it back up and it wouldnt even turn over.....at all ...nothing....no click sound
radio and everything works...
i opened the hood and there was an oil burning smell and oil like burning smoke coming from the oil fill tube general area
any ideas?
the vehicle will not turn over now...no click..nothing...turn the key and nothing happens at all.......
i need help please....vehicle has never done this before and to my knowledge has not leaked oil.....just had an oil change done on it about 2 weeks ago....and no oil leaks evidence on driveway at all....
thank you

no gas would not cause no crank

anyways.....i had car towed today to my house....i tried jump starting and nothing...it tries to crank for about 1/2 second and thats it with or without jump start....the battery is good 13.0v...and it starts my other car fine..i tested it

so yes may be a more serious problem....there was oil on ground so yes the burning smell was from oil...and it never leaked before ....and when i try to crack the car a few times you can see slight smoke coming from near oil filler tube area underneath....

to me it sounds like something seized up....oil pump bad?...its not a battery issue or alternator issue or starter issue.....its something more serious

a bad starter would not cuase the car to shut down...a bad battery would not cause a car to shut down...a bad altenator could shut the car down but the battery is good so the alternator must be good and charging

any ideas??? anyhting i should look for?

if its a costly repair i would liek to know since i would prob just scrap the vehicle...

thanks a lot

if the oil pump failed would that cause instant oil leaking out?

if oil pump did fail why would engine still not crank?

shouldnt engine still crank if oil pump failed or not working?

Unless you ran it for a while (a min at least) with zero oil pressure, it's not the oil. It's common for oil to leak down from the valve covers, burn on the exhaust manifold, and make a little smoke. Also, there's always some oil vapor in the filler tube anyway from blowby.

Forget the oil smoke thing...it's either electrical (not oil) smoke, or it's irrelevant to your car not turning over.

shelby5041,

Welcome to the forum -

OK - Turn on the headlights and stand in front of your Ex.

Have someone turn the ignition key all the way to the cranking position, while you are watching the headlights.

Do your headlights dim OR stay the same strength?

PS - What engine is in your Ex and what type of transmission - Auto or Manual?

Back